Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-11-2008 , 08:41 AM
SM Tea Boy

New Hi Def Video Format

Ok guys we are changing the video format our tutorials are done in. The new format will result in far higher quality video.

We'll be using the H.264 codec which on a PC you can view with VLC player or by simply installing the direct show filter for H.264 for this I suggest (https://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/) after installing this you will be able to play back this format in any media player. Most of you will be able to play this back with no need for any extra software.

For the Mac you will be able to view the new format in Quicktime or in Mplayer.

Please give us your opinion on this new format I'm posting a sample below from our upcoming sand speeder tutorial. I think you'll agree this is a huge improvement.

Download Sample

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 2 23-11-2008 , 10:02 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Lovely Stuff

Nice n sharp!!

Jay

# 3 23-11-2008 , 10:13 AM
Jr.Who
Yeah, H.264 is nice, I use it for mine. One question though, why did you compress it under .mp4 instead of .mov?

# 4 23-11-2008 , 10:50 AM
SM Tea Boy
I personally don't like mov as a container file. the MOV container is not a subset of the MPEG-4 standards as it is a proprietary container used exclusively by Apple and its QuickTime content.

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 23-11-2008 , 07:55 PM
Awesome Daviduser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 23-11-2008 , 08:05 PM
I believe this will be a 'first' for downloadable content among all the main players!!

Somebody correct me if Im wrong but arent they just standard movs or avi elsewhere?

Jay

# 7 23-11-2008 , 09:51 PM
Very crisp...nice resolution size.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 24-11-2008 , 05:34 AM

Originally posted by Jay
I believe this will be a 'first' for downloadable content among all the main players!!

Somebody correct me if Im wrong but arent they just standard movs or avi elsewhere?

Jay

Yeah DT and gnomon use .mov formats.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 24-11-2008 , 05:57 AM
thanks Steve

sorry mate I wasnt really clear. I meant to ask if anyone knew if they're compressed from Hi def originals to the lower format just for download reasons (file sizes etc) but I guess they arent, judging by the quality.

Obviously being competitors and Im sure they're all looking at one another, I think its fair to say theyre in for a shock when these come out

cheers
Jay