Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-09-2011 , 02:31 AM

Halo around model render with render

Hey guys i have a problem with renders i am making.

When i render them i get this annoying faint line around my render. I save my renders as PNG with no background.... but this faint line is there which is problematic when placed in my game as you can see the faint line.

Ever since i added lighting i have had this issue...

I tried pre-multiply by turning that off as some one suggested but that made it worse:

user added image

IF you look at the model with pre_multiply on, you can still see a faint grey line separating the tiles.

How do you solve this pain in the rear end problem ?

# 2 02-09-2011 , 05:14 AM
Technical Director
Do you have the UV lines being displayed in your painted texture? Does your painted texture overlap your UV shells by at least a few pixels?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 02-09-2011 at 05:16 AM.
# 3 02-09-2011 , 11:42 PM
Hi sorry im really new to maya so this terminology is a little difficult to understand can you dumb down the questions for me so i can answer as im a bit thick lol user added image ?

# 4 06-09-2011 , 05:42 AM
Technical Director
Ok. When you create a texture, you need to UV the model, which means take the 3d model, and unwrap it in a way so that it fits into a 2d space. You then create a UV snapshot, which exports a black and white image that shows your unwrapped model. When you bring this into Photoshop and start texturing, you use these lines as guides as to where you should place/paint your textures. You need to allow about 1 or 2 pixels past these lines, due to filtering (not really important for your case, but still expand the edges) Upon final export of your texture, you need to make sure that you turn off the UV snapshot inside your Photoshop document.

Are those images from Maya, or from the game engine? If it's from the game engine, grab your UV's and shrink them a bit in width. The engine may be having problems at the textures bounds.

Last edited by NextDesign; 06-09-2011 at 05:45 AM.
# 5 06-09-2011 , 06:14 PM
The screen shot is HTML of image renders in PNG format.

I will try what you mentioned and let you know how it goes.

# 6 06-09-2011 , 11:34 PM
Did you mean something like this

user added image

Well thats what me and my friend think you mean, but we are not doing this approach. Our purpose is to use only the render of the models, so we just added different textures to the parts of the building.

We are not sure the textures is the primary issue because this line issue that shows only occurs when we add a lighting source.

With a lighting source the faint lines appear around the edges, and apparently its a pre-multiply issue or we keep getting told but have had no success with pre-multiply being switched off.

The lighting being used is phisycal sun and sky as light tough.

Last edited by sirchick; 06-09-2011 at 11:43 PM.
# 7 07-09-2011 , 02:49 AM
Technical Director
I dunno mate. I'd have to take a look at the files.

# 8 07-09-2011 , 10:30 AM
The thin red line
You might try unticking the UV smoothing, its under mesh shape,smooth mesh, extra controls then untick smooth UVs............dave