Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 24-02-2005 , 07:03 PM
If you're doing 3D as a job, it helps to use the package that your employer/client uses. A lot of the time, that dictates what you learn and use.

If you're doing this as a hobby, use whatever you want. There is no "best" package. It is entirely dependent on what you do, how you like to work, and how much money you want to spend.

Asking which package is the most popular or most used is like asking if Coke or Pepsi is better. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 17 24-02-2005 , 07:16 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by dannyngan
if Coke or Pepsi is better. user added image

but we both know which of those is better user added image

# 18 24-02-2005 , 07:16 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
God I hate posts like these!! Which is best blah blah, how many times has this question been asked.

In my opinion overall despite my previous answer. Maya is King!!, period, thats it, the end, finito.

Until something better turns up I spose!!

_J

# 19 24-02-2005 , 07:21 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jango
. Maya is King!!, period, thats it, the end, finito.

_J

king of what? 3d?

if you hate post like this thread, then you must hate answers like yours.
user added image

# 20 24-02-2005 , 07:43 PM
Thing is Vlad I see this question asked so many times and I just have this weakness to answer it. Its annoying really like patronisation of my comment 'Maya is King' . You know full well what I mean: 3d software. Its not gonna be King of bread and butter is it!!

Yours Bitter and twistedly
Jango

PS: nice reel by the way

Last edited by Jay; 24-02-2005 at 07:48 PM.
# 21 24-02-2005 , 08:00 PM
Subscriber
So maya is “king of all 3dsoftware”
How did you come to that mind boggling conclusion,?
Have you used all 3d software?
what can maya do that max cannot ?

# 22 24-02-2005 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by vladimirjp
what can maya do that max cannot ?

It's not about what they can do, it's how easy it is to do it and maya wins.

# 23 24-02-2005 , 08:19 PM
this thread died quickly

FX supervisor - double negative
# 24 24-02-2005 , 08:22 PM
Vlad

You should read my previous answer on page one. Yes I have used Max and Lightwave, unfortunately not SoftImage. My conclusion from those experiences is Maya is best ( for me).
period, thats it, the end, finito. My partaking on this thread has ended. An opinion was asked_ I gave.

Ckyuk: Indeed!!

_J

# 25 24-02-2005 , 08:24 PM
nothing is 'best', maya is not as good as many programs in some ways. How about we go back to the method of discussing apps under their good lights, e.g.

I like houdini, its networking system is one of the best ive seen

rather limiting it to the max v maya debate.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 26 24-02-2005 , 08:53 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ckyuk
It's not about what they can do, it's how easy it is to do it and maya wins.

someone whos used max for years will do things just as quickly as someone who used maya for years.
It comes down to how much you know.
Just about every other app has better poly tools than maya and faster subDs and max has some of the best renderers on the market that comes upt when you think of speed.

# 27 24-02-2005 , 09:17 PM
My only real gripe about MAX is that alot of it is what we call 'Bolt Ons' you know alot of the package is third party plugins that you have to buy separatley.

Not that theres anything wrong with plugins as Maya has its fair share, yet it has its own Cloth, Fluids, Hair and Fur etc. Whereas you want it for Max you need to buy extras so to speak.

But then saying this I cant recall the last time I used cloth at work as calc time is hideous!! Even on a decent table cloth!!

Laurie: Never used Houdini, though Ive heard it has a good dynamics sim on it. I think it was used on the Watcher in the water in Fellowship of the Ring. They did a particle sim with 2d images for the water flowing from the creatures back. Which is impressive when you look at it.

_J

# 28 25-02-2005 , 01:33 AM
cumon people i havent started this thread to buy one i already own a copy of Maya 6.0 Complete i just wanted some user opinion not a debate.

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!
# 29 25-02-2005 , 01:41 AM

Originally posted by Supra Devil
cumon people i havent started this thread to buy one i already own a copy of Maya 6.0 Complete i just wanted some user opinion not a debate.

You are getting user opinions. When you have conflicting opinions, you'll get a debate. People get passionate about the software they use. If someone bad-mouths it, they're going to defend it or strike back or whatever.

Plus, you posted a "Maya vs. Max" topic on a Maya forum. Of course you're going to get heated responses. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 30 26-02-2005 , 02:38 AM
yeh thanks danny i know, could someone tell me whats the diffrence between Maya Unlimited and Maya Complete.....? except for the price ofcourse :p

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!