Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-01-2005 , 06:47 PM

Air Fields - > Softbodies

Hi all.

--> I'm using version 6.0.1

I've gotten stuck in Maya again, not sure why but I can't seem to make this dynamics effect work, maybe you could help, heres what I did.

Created a nurbes Plane, attached a surface emitor changed the rate to around 5 can't remember for sure its not that important, these particles are viewed as sphere and they are moving in the negative Y (down) towards another nurbs plane that is made into softbody and the copy of that plane is soft -- standard stuff.
There is a turbulance field on the softbody object its works looks like ocean waves I got the rivet script and there are ocean floaters --yadia yadio, great so all of that is fine, what I can't do is this.

I am trying to emit an air field from each of the individual particles that are coming down on the ocean surface.

-->I would like the particles representing meteors to make surface impacts in the ocean.

Heres what I did.

Fields -- create air field reset to defaults. then picked the air field just created and shift select the particles that are the meteors and then go to fields an emit from obect.

Okay it looks alright little air filed sines on all of my meteors so it looks like their are the emiting object.

Then I go into the dynamics relationship editor and assign the airfiled to the ocean surface.

I believe that I need to turn ON attenuation as I would like to see the effects of the meteors as they are hitting the surface and thus there is a question of distance, but I could be wrong and I may need to have this attenuation to OFF.

I tried increasing the inherited velocity to see if there was an effect nothing, nada zip ????

The particles just go right through the softbody?

Ideas??

Thanks

# 2 20-01-2005 , 07:16 AM
First I would try to make sure that my meteor objects have a mass value of higher than say 30 or so, depending on your particle goal weight, etc.

Then I would place a simple nurbs plane set as a Passive Rigid body, with primary visibility turned off, so our meteors dont poke all the way through, with a bouncyness of 0.1 and a Dampening of 0.9.

This also means that you can now turn OFF particle clollisions on your softy body of water too, to make trweaking the sim, and ultimately rendering, faster.

But being water, you might want a little to poke through due to transparency of water reletive to distance to camera, etc.

I hope this leads you to a conclusion!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 20-01-2005 , 08:54 PM

Originally posted by ragecgi
First I would try to make sure that my meteor objects have a mass value of higher than say 30 or so, depending on your particle goal weight, etc.

Then I would place a simple nurbs plane set as a Passive Rigid body, with primary visibility turned off, so our meteors dont poke all the way through, with a bouncyness of 0.1 and a Dampening of 0.9.

This also means that you can now turn OFF particle clollisions on your softy body of water too, to make trweaking the sim, and ultimately rendering, faster.

But being water, you might want a little to poke through due to transparency of water reletive to distance to camera, etc.

I hope this leads you to a conclusion!

Hi Thanks for your answer.

I thought about that but I was trying to use just the air field.
I got it here is what I did.

I turned on the use per vertex, the I changed the max distance (default -1) and turned it to 1. And changed the max distance to 1 then 2 to see the differences but the effect now works, and the air field is properly associated with the metors.

I could attach a screen shot if anyone would be interested.