Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 16-02-2011 , 09:21 PM
Lifetime Member
I think the wings are better just add a cutting/leading edhe to it and maybe a tad thicker (not much)...try that mate and see how it looks?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 47 16-02-2011 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
Right these wings are not going to beat me ....
They are now half the size of the ones I started with, 3x larger than thin ones and they are staying this size. Added so blades that will enable the thing to land and lift-off which I stole from a transformers toy.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/horde/wip_4_0.jpg

Got rid of the bolt on the wings for now - they may come back but I really don`t know yet.
Been playing with the colour of the base and gone a little bit more blue - oh though I am loving a red colour as well at the mo. Just adding some more blades in wings now just want to get the feel what people think of the changes.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/horde/wip_4_3.jpg
https://www.ravage3d.com/images/horde/wip_4_2.jpg

I think the wings are a a bit under designed compared to the body. The panels are fairly simple and don't really make much sense. By this i just mean they're not in keeping with the look. manufacturing-wise. i doubt i would make them one piece with a curved edge. more panels perhaps, or add some flaps.

I think you just cant see them any more as I have done alot of renders of the whole thing - but the main body is also made of many different panels - but yes there was something missing from the wings. Having more pannels was where i was before - but you can now see what I have done with them.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/horde/wip_4_1.jpg

Although i really like the model, I also have a slight problem with concept. If this is deigned for speed, then wouldn't it just whiz by all the people who are supposed to be instilled with fear by its silhouette? ...This is unless it flies very high, then it would perhaps not have the impact unless there were hundreds of them or it was huge.

You could ask the same question about why do police cars get supped up - to catch anyone trying not to follow the lay of the land. I see this pod as a multi tasking machine - able to get to areas really quickly, bring fear to all that see it and out run anyone who runs.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 16-02-2011 at 10:58 PM.
# 48 17-02-2011 , 12:10 AM
19 year Veteran
How about this design for the wings? Just a larger version of the tail.

Attached Images
# 49 17-02-2011 , 12:41 AM
Lifetime Member
Or this....this is what I originally meant...sorry for the roughness Tweety but Im at work..LOL gotta go, need really sharp edges...but hey...lets see what you do...

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 50 17-02-2011 , 12:59 AM
Subscriber
Not sure thx - good idea but I don`t think its working - I know this is very ruff but I feel its losing it wow factor with wings like that.

Bullet trying your idea now

Attached Thumbnails

# 51 17-02-2011 , 01:09 AM
19 year Veteran
Well, not positioned like that. Something more like this....

More of a fixed wing design.

Attached Images
# 52 17-02-2011 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - that does make much more sence. The other way just looked silly - silly me. Only problem with that look is the fact I would lose the shape of the horde logo - but many thanks.

This is my fav set of wings so far - the ones from the first renders - scaled down from 1 to 0.45 and I think I`m going to play about with this for awhile as this is what I had in mind when I designed this thing. At least at that point I was happy with them.

But going to go THX idea a quick play with

Attached Thumbnails

# 53 17-02-2011 , 01:32 AM
Lifetime Member
Here mate....just for fun, rough as guts but you get the drift...I copied the logo with CV then just poly convert...it would need some work...but its all about fun....

cheers bullet

Attached Files
File Type: zip tweety.zip (56.5 KB, 99 views)

bullet1968

# 54 17-02-2011 , 01:53 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
i would prolly invert the direction the wings are facing, i think it would make the design a lot stronger and give a better felling of speed. maybe add a little curvature to the too so they wont block the cockpit.

and after switching the direction the wings are facing , i would also add a little tapper from he tip/edge of the wings out.

just my 2cents user added image its great work tho.user added image

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 55 20-02-2011 , 10:13 AM
Subscriber
ideas stolen from Thrust, nice.

I'd say it almost looks faster without the wings really...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 56 22-02-2011 , 12:15 AM
Subscriber

i would prolly invert the direction the wings are facing, i think it would make the design a lot stronger and give a better felling of speed. maybe add a little curvature to the too so they wont block the cockpit.

and after switching the direction the wings are facing , i would also add a little tapper from he tip/edge of the wings out.

just my 2cents user added image its great work tho.user added image

Well tried many different ideas - the tail idea was ok looking but it meant I would have to redo all the details on the lower part of the pod so ruled that one out. The wings back look made it look like a bat diving for it pray and kept the look of the logo, but for the pod to stay like that all the time was just wired.

Working from the jump off point bullet sent me here is were the wings are now.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/horde/wip_5_1.jpg

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/horde/wip_5_2.jpg

The shape is nice, it brings back the ref image of the wing at the start of my WIP, it looks stylish, does not block the cockpit, not to thick and has a slight curve to it - I think winner.

Many thanks bullet, the file you sent me made me look at the wings in a very different way leading to this version off the wings

I also put some details were the wings gone just to show some support to the wing for when they are at full speed and to bring some of the tek from the bottom to the top.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 22-02-2011 at 12:40 AM.
# 57 22-02-2011 , 12:35 AM
Subscriber

# 58 22-02-2011 , 01:24 AM
Lifetime Member
No worries mate......now THATS a f*****g winna!!!!!! I like it now man...thats it you have got it I reckon mate. Ken Oath (you know what that Auusie slang is) I think it retains the integrity of the Horde shape, has the sleek fast look and would scare the crap out of you if its shadow went across your lines...he he he he well done mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 59 22-02-2011 , 01:43 AM
Subscriber

Ken Oath (you know what that Auusie slang is)

I have no idea ??? - different world down there I swear to god.

# 60 22-02-2011 , 01:50 AM
Subscriber
bullet, no one sane knows what aussie slang is user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D