# 1 01-03-2011 , 07:22 PM
Subscriber

Maya 2012 details up

# 2 01-03-2011 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber
and now we play the waiting game

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 01-03-2011 , 09:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL

Im really not worried about it anymore, as its the same every year, they bring a version out, people complain because the color is crap or the tool doesnt do what it used to - heh Ive done it myself.

What Ive come to realise is the majority of people forget especially alot of the young up and coming people on forums like this is that Maya isnt really aimed at the home user - it never was. Its actually a high end piece of kit designed for making movies and these days, more games.

I think the frustration of not understanding it the first place seems to bring people to their knees whining about what should have been done and why the hell did they do that and wheres my make render cool button it was there in the last version? The answer really is progress - meaning that its evolving in accordance to what techniques the CG industry dictates is being used at that time.

Mayas power really does lie in its ability to be customised from the core outwards, so to see it really work you have to be in the right place - the games or movie industry. I recall learning maya from version 2.5 and I can tell you it was hard bloody work, and it has got better over the years and now having a career as a VFX Modeller Im privvy to some serious shit when it comes to having custom tools made for specific jobs.

It is what it is and as I said its not for the home user really at the end of the day, despite what Autodesk may claim - its tailored in a way so that tds can open it up and make it do what the artists need or require in order to get the job done. As far as the home user is concerned you/we are getting a basic package that if you want to make it do more you have to tell it to do it and thats where skills with C++, mel and python come in.

just my 10pence.....

Jay

# 4 01-03-2011 , 10:10 PM
EduSciVis-er
# 5 01-03-2011 , 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

...if you want to make it do more you have to tell it to do it and thats where skills with C++, mel and python come in.

just my 10pence.....

Jay

Agreed! I'm neck deep in MEL atm (and lovin' it) and about ankle deep in C++. If you're familiar with those languages, you don't have to put on your lucky underwear and cross your fingers before you read the "new features" list.

- Genny
# 6 02-03-2011 , 12:16 AM
Lifetime Member
hhhhmmmmmmm I have trouble with English lingo...cos Im an Aussie, but I have aquired a basic mel programming for dummies....so the reading shall begin this month (personal challenge Jay LOL). I havent delved into the 3D software side really but 25 years (most of) as a Surveyor...well we use very similar programs. Now we are getting into machine control a lot (3D models of land construction) and also scanning techniques which require point cloud data interploation etc etc. The software is always changing..not always for the better...but you just have to adjust and get on with it.

I currently use civilcad for my Surveying...and its killing me!! because of the complexity of my job...well ccad doesnt 3D and ACAD does...and now after slowly being helped/trained in Maya by you guys..well I expect a lot more from my software at work. To end this, I agree Jay...I think peoples expectations are lofty...less time whinging and just adjust tack slightly and get over it...I do it a hundred times a day LOL. Really from my end, software changes are only REALLY relative every 2 years anyway...maybe longer.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 02-03-2011 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber
To be honest I liked the changes Autodesk made to the program after they took over - I just wish they sat down sorted the things out and released it as an update not a yearly thing - some pluggins like shave and hair cut and syflex are having problems with their customers as maya is getting updated faster than they can change there programing. But 2011 feels a lot more stable for me and the colour you can change yourself. I don`t think anyone could use my copy of Maya as I have changed so many of the hotkeys its unreal, and I don`t really use plugins so it does not effect me.

# 8 02-03-2011 , 07:58 AM

Agreed! I'm neck deep in MEL atm (and lovin' it) and about ankle deep in C++. If you're familiar with those languages, you don't have to put on your lucky underwear and cross your fingers before you read the "new features" list.

Indeed. I'm not a bad coder, just been messing with python and interfacing Maya with some external hardware, not for any real reason just to see if I can! Good fun!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 02-03-2011 , 09:48 AM
Acid44
The editable motion trails feature looks like it's gonna be amazing for animating, I can already imagine about a billion possibilities for it user added image

# 10 02-03-2011 , 02:38 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I know python, is it easy to write things for Maya?

# 11 02-03-2011 , 06:05 PM

I know python, is it easy to write things for Maya?

Meh, most of the time if your writing anything to Maya your going to be using mel commands a lot anyway.

Its good "glue" really. I'm a little biased to MEL as i spent the time learning it.

Give it a go. 2011 has a few nice little bits like completion and path completion.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 02-03-2011 , 07:07 PM
EduSciVis-er
I've heard some good things about PyMEL... and I believe it's supported with syntax highlighting and completion and stuff from 2011... haven't given it a try myself, but I'd like to someday.

# 13 03-03-2011 , 12:32 AM
Subscriber
I've been seriously considering moving over to blender in the last few months. I love maya and know it pretty well but blender is free, and I love free user added image I don't like the way it's set up thought, that's it's biggest flaw that I've found so far. Haven't been able to model anything in it yet.
I stopped at maya 2009, the updates are useless to me and I've been happy with 2009's features and it runs great on my computer. Well great as in as-good-as-maya-gets.

# 14 03-03-2011 , 11:17 AM
Python for maya is ok, its a bit shitty that your pretty much referencing things from mel all the time but to be honest the strength of python is its ability to do things outside of maya and bring them all togeather, its good for pipeline! Python is also a better language to learn as its around in most major applications now, its fantastic in Houdini etc.

Its definitely a more useful syntax to learn overall but can get fiddly especially when working in expressions.

Maya is lacking a decent node based enviroment as it stands, its a bit behind with fx too.

As everyones saying Maya is very popular because its a) easy to customize b) alot of people know maya very well compared to other packages c) its a good mix between ease of use and control compared to some other packages. d) its pretty speedy to be honest

FX supervisor - double negative
# 15 03-03-2011 , 10:20 PM
19 year Veteran

I recall learning maya from version 2.5 and I can tell you it was hard bloody work

I became aware of Maya with version 3, but i didn't start learning until version 4. I think version 4 was where it got more user friendly. Correct me if I'm wrong Jay.