Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-09-2004 , 10:52 PM

Does it exist?

I cant remember what program it was(i think it was lightwave)

They had a render option so when you render you can rotate around the image in all directions and stuff. While it was rendered. Took longer to render but it was cool. The lighting would not change so the same area was highlighted, same area had shadows no matter how you moved it...

But it that possible in maya?

I think in LW you had to render it to shockwave or flash or something.

# 2 28-09-2004 , 11:36 PM
The Maya Mountain
not that I know of. There are flash plug-ins for Maya, though, so maybe they do something like that?

# 3 28-09-2004 , 11:51 PM
Know where i could check out these plugins?

It woudl be very handy to render once and swing all around your object seeing how it looks than to render every view you need... might take twice as long to render.. but you only gotta do it onceuser added image

# 4 29-09-2004 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber
well if your wanting the lighting to stay put, depending on your card, you can hit 7 to use the lights and hardware texturing, Use as many lights as it will suport. With the higher Gcards you can use dmap shadows in your view port also. I had up to 4 spot lights with a crappy really old Nvidea card. Wasn't looking like GI-Joe but looked better than none.

is this something like your talking about ?

# 5 29-09-2004 , 08:56 PM
PONY, the version im speaking of came with lightwave, a handly featurew it actually made a render(like mayas default renderer) but(i assume others have done this) you sometimes try and scroll or tumble around your render to see other parts... then realize you cant.. well with this you can. And its all pre rendered. But say the light is coming from the left of where ever you render... And you spin 180 degrees around the object. It will look like you are moving, not the light or the object, because the same spots will always be highlighted. Same spots will have shadows. So the textures wont change at all.

# 6 29-09-2004 , 09:26 PM
That sounds as if it made a QuickTime VR file that enabled you to "rotate" around a scene. You can do QuickTime VR's in Maya too, in fact there is/was a tutorial plus a mel script on Alias' site awhile back that showed you how to do that. Check there, and on highend3d.com for it.

# 7 29-09-2004 , 10:51 PM
Ill have to check that out.

If there was a way to render a scene in that format and upload it to the board im sure it would help on CnC as well as helping people with questions on how to do things.

# 8 30-09-2004 , 01:52 AM

# 9 30-09-2004 , 02:12 AM
The Maya Mountain
The only way I know to do that is to render a 360 and track through it in fcheck or something. It's not real-time by any stretch of the imagination, though.

# 10 30-09-2004 , 02:32 AM
too bad maya doesnt have it... it would be a great addition.

# 11 30-09-2004 , 02:40 AM
Here is the MEL script that will allow you to render Quicktime VR's. You'll have to test it out on your own though, because I couldn't find the tutorial that Alias' use to have.

https://www.highend3d.com/maya/mel/?g...sort=file_name

It's called qtvr.mel. I tried it out long ago and it worked pretty good for me.

# 12 30-09-2004 , 11:54 PM
Not exactly what i wanted.. but its a start.

# 13 01-10-2004 , 12:44 AM
I'm pretty sure this is what Lightwave uses. I found a bunch of tutorials for Lightwave's QT VR stuff, which appears to be the only way to render out files as you described.

https://www.newtek.com/products/light...cktime_vr.html

Only problem with the Maya script is you have to have a different application to put the different files together.

Good luck!