Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 27-03-2007 , 10:34 AM
Really nice user added image......can you post the UV painted?

It's really cool user added image

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 17 27-03-2007 , 10:40 AM
you're cast shadow is far too strong. There's lots of clouds in the sky so there would only be a soft shadow really. yellows are too strong as people have noted.

To light this:

get rid of your normal lights and get your HDRI levels into a ballpark range for this shot. I'm talking about ambient levels. So you should have no direct light only ambient. Try to get that to "sit" into the background first. It will be tricky as you are not using the HDRI for that background which would help a lot. If it takes a while to render then make 3 nurbs spheres one with a white ambient material, one with a mid grey and one with a dark grey. Use them for lighting and try to sit them in the scene before you start with the plane. I start every shot with those 3 balls and a consistent set of shaders. If you can get the balls right then it will be much easier to do the plane. I guess I should really get some tutes done on this kind of stuff... when this film is over I will user added image

As for your uvs, why did you do them with a big seam right down the top middle of your model? Wouldn't it be better for you to have the seam along the wing edge where it's less noticeable? Just a thought.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 18 27-03-2007 , 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Alan

I guess I should really get some tutes done on this kind of stuff... when this film is over I will user added image

Looking forward to em, as matching Cg lighting to real world stuff if my biggest lack of understanding!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 19 27-03-2007 , 11:11 AM
practice practice practice

go take a photo and try to put something into it... even a ball or 3 as I mentioned above. Don't worry too much about HDRI's to begin with. They're kind of cheating anyways user added image

user added image
A

IMDB
# 20 29-03-2007 , 04:50 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Alan
For taking the time to comment on my work, as a hobbyist, the easy bit is getting into modeling, followed by the painting, then you realise how hard it is to light / render stuff, the things that you thought just kinda 'happened' at the end, but boy is it technical!
I will certainly be trying the idea with the spheres, because im not on a course and dont have anyone pointing things out to me i think why didnt i think of that....six months ago.

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 29-03-2007 , 05:09 AM
Subscriber
just to show i listen and appreciate the feed back

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 29-03-2007 , 05:14 AM
shadow is still too strong, I would blur the hell out of it and fade it back a lot. The yellows are still too strong and saturated. They really pop out of the picture. Look at the levels in the picture there's nothing else of that saturation in the picture. Lighting on the plane is better though.

user added image
Alan

IMDB
# 23 30-03-2007 , 07:59 AM
Subscriber

I love maya
# 24 30-03-2007 , 08:02 AM
no you don't need GI user added image

just blur the shadow in your compositing app. you don;'t need more than that for softening the shadows. If you want to look into GI as a separate lighting technique then that's a different matter user added image

GI isn't the be all and end all of CG lighting user added image
user added image
Alan

IMDB
# 25 30-03-2007 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
once again thanks for your input. realised i just wasnt putting the same effort into thinking about rendering as i was with modeling, be interested to know if you think its nearly there yet...we've come a long way together

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 30-03-2007 , 11:30 PM
i think it looks better. I think you should make the contact point with the ground a little bit darker almost black compared to the rest of the shadow. It almost looks like there is no contact there.

Yellows are much better

user added image
Alan

IMDB
# 27 31-03-2007 , 06:39 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by paldav
...we've come a long way together

dude are you coming on to me user added image
lol yea alans right also the propeler looks wierd, it seems to birght for the rest of the scene

I love maya
# 28 31-03-2007 , 07:28 AM
Acid44
looking good man only thing i can see wrong is that the front left wheel looks like its floating a bit

keep up the good workuser added image

# 29 31-03-2007 , 09:01 AM
Subscriber
Time to move on before i bore everyone

Thank you all for your feed back on this, the difference between the first render and the last is genuinly down to the help i have had from everyone who posted, so cheers, please look out for paldavs lancaster soon, although it may start life more at home in the wip forum!

cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 30 29-04-2007 , 10:40 PM
i have seen a lot of spits, and the 1st thing that looked off was the size of the props. they seem a bit small. whether that is the angle they are at i dont know, have a look at this image i found looking good though i might even try an aircraft.

user added image

Last edited by richand26mhz; 30-04-2007 at 01:09 AM.