Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 21-02-2008 , 07:30 PM
Subscriber

Feedback needed please on character animation :-)

www.simontayloranimation.com
# 2 21-02-2008 , 08:28 PM
Jr.Who
lol, they look good. I love the second one!

# 3 21-02-2008 , 09:17 PM
yeah - nice job. the second one was very good.

i liked the first one, especially the choice of dialogue and idea, but i thought some of his body movement seemed a bit out of sync.

# 4 21-02-2008 , 10:55 PM
Senior Software Developer
Hi m8,

good work...

Ill do these one at a time...

Dialog is good but I see issues with the rigging as you seem to have some pinching and interpenetration of the arms and body. Its most noticeable when the animation to "and the line must be drawn here" part. All inall its good and I like the theme of using roaches to fit the battle of man against insect user added image

Mime is a lot better and the steering wheel seems to hide the issue I mentioned above. It might just be the angle, but on the 2nd car horn when he turns to my right (his left) when he gestures with his hand they seem to penitrate the car body.

All in all they are a good bit of work and I think you will do well with this.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 24-02-2008 , 03:06 AM
Subscriber
Good mate. A few tips i'd recomend. The first one. The dialogue seems to be slightly (very slightly) out of sync, which makes it appear to look like he is just opening and closing his mouth accordingly with a a bit of 'O's and 'EE's added.

The bugs are good but straight away drew me to watch them as apposed to the character. Too much animation on the bugs was a distraction.

As for the animation of the character, is was impressed. Though a few things to keep in mind.

On about frame 100 when he stands up, think 'reversals'. By that i mean show body wieght by perhaps shift and rotate the body down very slightly before he stands and maybe one hand on the leg.

The timing is pretty good, though in parts where he slams his hand down and the other arm reacts is good, though i would animate a follow through of the forarm to reduce a bit of stiffness.

When your character's hand is the main animation it looks very good, though it seems the opposing arm's animation looks a bit neglected.

Overall, im v.impressed. A few offsets in the curves would do it the world of good. There are loads of tips in generali could give but this is good mate. Il take a look at the 2nd and repost for that.

well done!

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 6 24-02-2008 , 05:20 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for all the feedback so far, been really useful. By the way what do you mean by offset curves?

Simon

# 7 24-02-2008 , 10:06 AM
Subscriber
I mean offsetting your keyframes.

Offsetting your curves adds a bit of spontanuity to your animation and makes it look a bit smoother. By this i mean
if you have keys for rotation on the hip, waist, chest, head etc. on say, keyframe 50 for example. Leave your keys on frame 50 for the hips, 55 for the waist, 60, for the chest, and 65 for the head.

This is purely an example.Your timing is based on your scene. The other thing you should try and remember is contrast. Contrast in any animation adds realism. For example, you have a character strecth. And when blocking it out, you have youur right and left arm stretch in simular positions on the same key....boring. Just subtly offsetting the position and keys for that movement will add contrast.

I like your animations mate on your site.
Do you film yourself before you animate?

# 8 24-02-2008 , 10:11 AM
Subscriber
Thanks!

Hadn't heard the term offsetting in that context before, I've always called it breaking up action. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Got a week left to make them really good!

I do film myself before animating but I tend to only use it as a guide to block it out and possibly to get some ideas for subtleties later on.

Thanks for looking on my site, I should really update it at some point as the shorts on there are nowhere near the quality of my current stuff!

# 9 24-02-2008 , 01:05 PM
Subscriber
wow i cant wait to see your current stuff then dude!

user added image