Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 31-12-2009 , 10:42 AM

Mental ray and directional light?

Hi. I am on my way now to getting my first render in mental ray look ok. I had it set up with spotlights and thought I should try it with a directional light instead. Selected one of my lights and swapped it to directional.

Guess what? My whole scene turned into night. Everything is lit as before, but very dark. I jacked up the intensity from 1.2 to 10, and it is still just as dark.

Why? Doesn't directional lights work with mental ray?

# 2 31-12-2009 , 09:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
Is your scene in a boxed in environment? If it's a room for example, the walls will completely block all the light, as directional lights come from infinitely far away. You can uncheck cast shadows in render settings for the objects that are "outside" where the directional light should be coming from. Hope that makes sense.

# 3 31-12-2009 , 11:43 PM
Thank you. I solved my problem just an hour ago. I had managed to turn up my incandecense so it killed the shadows. Clumsy me.