Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-05-2003 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber

Procedural Shaders / Textures?

Hello all.

I'm new to Maya and have 4.5. I used to use a product called Imagine. Imagine had a cool set of procedural textures, one of which was a real nice bathroom tile texture with configurable grout and tile characteristics, very realistic.

Does anyone know how I can obtain a texture like that for Maya? I have looked through the Shader Library and can't find anything close to that.

Thanks.

# 2 14-05-2003 , 01:35 PM
You should read about the hypershade in the manuals..

Look at the grid texture, combine it with some noise or a fractal shader, adjust the colors and intensity, maybe apply some ramps and stuff - and perhaps add some color adjustment nodes and you will soon learn that Imagines procedural shaders are babies compared to the possibilites with maya's procedural shaders.

But all hypershade and texture/shader generation is explained in the manuals.

Good luck - and let us see what you come up with user added image

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 3 14-05-2003 , 03:49 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I have no doubt that Maya's textures / shaders are far superior to other apps, just didn't know how much work would be involved in getting there and where to start.

Thanks again and I'll post my tile if I can get it to work.