Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 25-06-2003 , 01:31 PM

Help With UV

I am new to maya so I am not sure really how to approach this

I am trying to uv an imported obj file, I am trying to make a toy rocket launcher

Can someone explain what would be a good way to make the uv's for this

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-06-2003 , 02:29 PM
The Maya Mountain
probably could Planar map the prongs, cylindrical map the center.

# 3 10-07-2003 , 05:22 PM

hope this will help

I think that first, the model has to be facing front in the z axis and the side in the x or viceversa because if you are going to use a planar proyection on the prongs the result is going to be better if they are facing the x or z axis because the proyection comes in x,z, and y.
So for the prongs of the sides use a planar on z, and for the one in front and back use a planar on x only selecting the polys on the sides
For the top and down of the 4 prongs use a planar proyection in the y axis.
And for the center a cilindrical mapping will do.
And a planar on y for the top and bottom of the center.

kazama
raularosemena@hotmail.com

# 4 10-07-2003 , 08:42 PM
Just to be clear, planar projections can come from any direction, so it doesn't matter how your model is oriented. user added image

For this particular shape, it would make sense to set your planar projection options to Fit To Best Plane, so that when you select faces on one of the prongs, for instance, the projection manipulator will automatically align to the faces correctly. A cylindrical projection will work for the center piece, although, if you want to keep everything proportionally correct or as flat a possible, you could map each vertical strip of faces with planar projections. Just depends on how picky you want to get.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 12-07-2003 , 12:18 AM