Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 17-01-2012 , 07:20 AM
Lifetime Member

Scene would not render correct anymore - Mental Ray

I have a scene that’s has rendered nice in v2010. But since I moved to v2012 all my materials are rendering black. I’ve relinked them, still no correct render.

Strange thing is that I see the materials with hardware texturing on and that they render with the Maya Software renderer.

user added image

You can download the file here to check things out.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19522505/Area/Ant.zip

(I had to strip the file due copyright issues - I hope I didn’t erased to much)
I can send the complete file if needed. Please mail me.
waldo3d at hotmail com

I’m a beginner, so bear with me. I hope it’s a stupid thing ;-)

Thx for the help on this!

Waldo

# 2 17-01-2012 , 08:14 AM
The Nurb Herd
it works for me.
you have a ray type switch with a black hole pugged into the eye... if this makes no sense, you should maybe delete the shaders and start again. user added image

Attached Images
# 3 17-01-2012 , 08:18 AM
The Nurb Herd
if you really really need the shaders, i could help you rebuild them.
tell me the result you want. what should it look like when its rendered? we can work it out.

# 4 17-01-2012 , 08:25 AM
Lifetime Member
;-)
This does not make sense for me. Sorry...
And since I have to work with other models with the same problem, I have to understand what's going on here.

# 5 17-01-2012 , 08:55 AM
The Nurb Herd
who set up the shaders? cant they explain why they did what?

i changed the shader and light setup to get that to work. sorry i'm using a trackpad on my laptop to do this so i'm a bit slow. i'll come up with a fix, but i need to know what you want? do you want the alpha switching thing? do you want the black hole shader? if you just want a bog standard material i'd start again.
the ray type switch is cool, you can render different results for eye, reflection, refraction, final gather blah blah. it can be handy.

# 6 17-01-2012 , 09:09 AM
The Nurb Herd
not having a middle mouse button or a right click is quite limiting user added image

all i can think of right now is try connecting your textures up again and then middle mouse drag the beautypass_mt to the eye of the raySwtch_mt.

i'll check this thread in the morning, and have a look at work.
cheers