Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-05-2004 , 03:42 PM
Subscriber

first NURBS human model

hello everyone! i decided to pursue a new project, which is to successfully model a human. this is my first try at modelling a detailed organic form, and i decided to use nurbs for this one.

i decided to give importance to the muscle details, which i tried to represent as much as possible without using any references for now (this is just a freehand, play-it-by-ear thing). your c&c would be greatly appreciated! user added image

below is a shot of what i have at the moment. the arms aren't stitched on (still trying to see how to do that), and there is a seam between the two body halves (dunno how to remove that).

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 22-05-2004 , 03:44 PM
Subscriber
another shot...

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 22-05-2004 , 04:19 PM
Subscriber
Wow thats a very good start

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 4 22-05-2004 , 05:25 PM
Nice start, looking forward to seeing some more progress. Keep it up!! user added image

-------------------------------------------
# 5 22-05-2004 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
nice modeling!
love the detail sofar!
keep it up! hope to see some more of it!

ps

there's a arm stiching tut you know! user added image

greetzz

RansicK

# 6 22-05-2004 , 06:15 PM
abdomen muscle is too narrow, should be wider. Pectoralis is too low, lift them up. triceps should be more smooth. The wide thing at the bottom(supposedly start of pelvis) should be lower too.

Can't you look at yourself? I mean you should know this if you are in high school or beyond.

I am in 10th grade, sophomore in high school, but if you don't take me serious, I'll make you.
# 7 23-05-2004 , 02:42 AM
Subscriber
working..working.. yup working out the kinks in the model right now.

i actually tried out the armstitching tutorial. it works well except that when i finally attach the arm surfaces to the shoulder area and turn on global stitch, i'm left with unsightly seams where i detached the surfaces on the body prior to attaching my arm. i'll try to post pics here once i'm able to.

# 8 23-05-2004 , 02:42 PM
Subscriber
hey everyone..tried out the arm stitching tut...

while the arm is stitched on as expected, i get some very unsightly seams as shown in the picture.. even with global stitch on. any way i can fix this?

here's a shot....

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 23-05-2004 , 08:14 PM
Does that happen when you render too?

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 10 23-05-2004 , 09:44 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude

I think you need to definitly get some reference for this then it will look even better once its finished.

As for your global stitch problem, I would say that the number of cv's on the arm are different from the amount you are attaching on the torso so when you apply the stitch Maya has to work out what it thinks is the best way to join the surfaces. I'm not an expert at nurbs but this would make sense to me looking at it.
Hope this helps

Jango

Last edited by Jay; 23-05-2004 at 09:50 PM.
# 11 23-05-2004 , 10:08 PM
Subscriber
what do you mean by the number of cv's being different?

also the seams across the chest appear as early as after having detached the body surfaces for stitching (early steps in mtmckinley's arm stitching tut). they also appear when i render.

# 12 23-05-2004 , 10:15 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Deryk

What I mean is the number of control vertex's (cv's) on the arm are for example 8 and the number on the torso are 9 instead, therefore causing and oddity in the stitching

Is this clearer??

Jango

# 13 28-05-2004 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber

a new version..

redid the body part, this time looking at a few bodybuilders for reference on muscle definition... how do you all like it? user added image c+c please. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 28-05-2004 , 03:18 PM
Subscriber
from a different perspective...

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 28-05-2004 , 05:00 PM
awesome, really nice. I wish I could get same result with my poly character user added image.

Really good yob, keep it up.

Noo0ooB... beginner... novice... newby... I'am new ! ! !

VERY BAD ENGLISH !