Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 28-10-2006 , 02:56 AM

Selection/backface culling problem

Hi

I'm really sorry to ask this, but i can;t find the solution and its driving me nuts. All i want to do is be able to drag select faces/vertices on a model without selecting the ones on the other side (e.g select all vertices on a nose without getting any from the back of the head)

No this seems like a very simple concept, and I'm sure it should be solved by backface culling, but whilst this makes the other faces invisible, they are still selectable.

This must be so simple any help really appreciated

Thanks

Rich

# 2 28-10-2006 , 04:03 AM
I know this doesn't answer your question, but another solution to your problem would be to use the Paint Selection tool. I think it is under edit. You should be able to use that tool to easily select the surface components of an object without selecting the back faces.

There is a way to do it with backface culling, but I am at work right now and can't check.

Have you tried a simply maya search?

# 3 28-10-2006 , 05:19 AM
thanks for the suggestion, i have'nt tried the paint select tool.

I've searched in loads of places for info on backface culling, but everything i find just explains how to turn it on and that it makes the backfaces invisible.

Maybe the problem is that in a model like a head, all the faces face outwards, so can still be selected even with backface culling enabled?

I

# 4 28-10-2006 , 06:21 AM
yeah, i think you are right. I think it might have something to do with the direction of the normals (under the edit polygons menu). Maybe you can turn on backface culling and then select the faces at the back and reverse their normals. Not sure if that is right though - I have been scratching my head trying to remember how it's done.

To be honest I think using the Paint Selection tool would be an easier solution. I've used it a few times and it's a great way of selecting components.

# 5 28-10-2006 , 07:18 AM
i think you're right, cheers

i had a play with he paint selection tool ands, as you say, it's just the job

cheers fella

# 6 28-10-2006 , 07:34 AM
no problem mate.user added image

# 7 31-10-2006 , 12:40 PM
Had this problem before.

Go to menu bar:
Display -> Component Display -> Backfaces.

The above will turn backface culling on and all the invisible components at the back will not be selectable.

Do let us know the solution if you solve it.