Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 06-09-2007 , 09:22 PM

Hello! A few simple questions

Hello everyone, hope you're having a great evening!
I'm new to the Forum, and new to Maya!
I was beginning to learn how to model in Maya a few years ago, though other things in my life put that to an end. Now I'm back in front of the computer, dedicated to learn the basics and then continue on!

I have a few questions, probably silly and easy to answer, but I can't be more of a newbie...

1. A model is created in Maya. The next step is to render? Is that the same as texturing?

2. Rendering is most easily done in, Maya? Is Mental Ray built in to Maya? I've got the Unlimited 8.5 version through school.

3. Are there any essential things to know, like what steps should be included when starting a project? Modeling, rendering etc.

Warm greetings for the (at the moment) a bit cold Sweden!
Cheers! =)

# 2 06-09-2007 , 09:28 PM
Jr.Who

Re: Hello! A few simple questions

Originally posted by Thylith
1. A model is created in Maya. The next step is to render? Is that the same as texturing?

2. Rendering is most easily done in, Maya? Is Mental Ray built in to Maya? I've got the Unlimited 8.5 version through school.

3. Are there any essential things to know, like what steps should be included when starting a project? Modeling, rendering etc.

Warm greetings for the (at the moment) a bit cold Sweden!
Cheers! =)

1. Absolutely not. Seems like you need to study up on rendering. user added image

2. Maya Software is a fast render, and can produce realistic renders. If you want to go all out, go with MR, but that takes longer to render with.

3. You need to more specific on a question like this.

Welcome to the SM forum.
user added image

# 3 06-09-2007 , 09:37 PM
Subscriber
Hello and welcome to SM Thylith.

a good place to start would be to check out the free tutorials on this site.....

CLICK THIS for the tutorial page.

There are basics on modelling, texturing and rendering amongst them.

The help menu in Maya (f1) is a great place to be looking if you're stuck but I rekon you need a little insight into Maya before you start wading through that.

Another thing to do is just get into it and model, post up on the forum and hopefully you'll get some helpful crit and tips. Look at the other threads too, that way you'll be able to see how other people might tackle problems that they encounter.

Good luck with your Maya adventure.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 4 07-09-2007 , 02:22 PM
Thank you guys! I sure will explore Maya more and check out those free tutorials, great link, thanks Mat!

I'll post some models when I've done them! user added image