Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 61 26-08-2008 , 08:00 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
:blush:

Do you think i should model the rings on the trunk or use a bump map (im just thinking about uv mapping)

# 62 27-08-2008 , 01:07 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
oh dear, the trunk seems a touch dense now

Attached Images
# 63 27-08-2008 , 04:00 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
It doesnt look at all right and now im not sure what to do........

This is getting frustrating

# 64 27-08-2008 , 04:01 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Attached Thumbnails
# 65 27-08-2008 , 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
Well, you could start over (cartoon/realistic or one of those surreal type hybrids) or abandon it, straddling the fence isn't doing you much good obviously. Your choice. There is no rule that says you can do a cartoon version this time around then a realistic one somewhere down the line.

- Genny
# 66 27-08-2008 , 05:15 AM
Subscriber
I know this may sound a little more frustrating. Ok well I don't know that, but my 2 cents usually are.

I'm really liking the first 8 or so rings, or edges or creases. whatever you choose to call them.
From about the point where the tusk drops straight to the ground it looks far too messy, and I think for further issues of a possible rig and animation that density would be hell.
But the biggest thing for me is the lack of definition in the smaller rings. And I don't think this is your fault so much as it is the small size of the geometry that low.

I think you did really well on the upper part of the tusk and I MIGHT seriously advise the use of a bump or displacement on the lower section of the trunk.

I hope that helps some.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 67 27-08-2008 , 05:24 AM

Originally posted by GecT
Well, you could start over (cartoon/realistic or one of those surreal type hybrids) or abandon it, straddling the fence isn't doing you much good obviously. Your choice. There is no rule that says you can do a cartoon version this time around then a realistic one somewhere down the line.

Exactly what I would say, to me theres not much direction. Keep in one camp for the time being.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 68 27-08-2008 , 07:08 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by alexanderH
I know this may sound a little more frustrating. Ok well I don't know that, but my 2 cents usually are.

I'm really liking the first 8 or so rings, or edges or creases. whatever you choose to call them.
From about the point where the tusk drops straight to the ground it looks far too messy, and I think for further issues of a possible rig and animation that density would be hell.
But the biggest thing for me is the lack of definition in the smaller rings. And I don't think this is your fault so much as it is the small size of the geometry that low.

I think you did really well on the upper part of the tusk and I MIGHT seriously advise the use of a bump or displacement on the lower section of the trunk.

I hope that helps some.

Im so glad you said that

# 69 27-08-2008 , 07:12 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I dont think im good enough to do a realistic one, but im also not much cop at character design, I wouldnt know how to make it look cartoony

I dont want realsitic i think but i dont want it to be totally cartoony (a bit like the people and spaceship in wally (but it obviously wont be that good))

Wow, Ive even confused myself

# 70 27-08-2008 , 07:37 AM
If you go for realistic theres lots of reference so try it, from scratch. You've had 3 previous attempts at making an Elephant (if you class this one) so you should know the topology now, and you should be able to position the polys to aid you.

If you want to do a cartooney one, then choose one, Dumbo maybe? Again lots of ref and again you should have a understanding so far, that way you dont have to design a character and you'll pick it up on the way.

Edit - If you want to make this cartooney, then make the ears bigger, give only say 5 rings on the trunk and make a tiny tail or something, look at what Alexander said, good advice.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 71 27-08-2008 , 10:23 AM
Subscriber
One thing I would like to add to this whole discussion if I may.
And keep in mind when I say this that I am no good at drawing, but I see things vividly enough that I can re-create em fairly decently in 3D space.
If you can sketch, or if it aids in the process I think it might help for you to think of 1 - the style, and since you said you don't want realistic, but not entirely cartoony I would think a hybrid would do best.
What kind of hybrid? Well if you want my opinion or the first thing that came to mind when this whole discussion started...
Sorry, terrible writing skills here.

When the first mention of cartoon elephant came to mind I immediately thought back to watching cartoons as a kid, surprisingly not any elephants. Sorry, it just hit me mid thought here, have you seen Horton Hears a Who?
user added image
The animated movie was actually really good.
user added image

I personally love the idea of trying to make an elephant seem light footed.
Anyways, long story short, it is not hyper realistic, but it lends itself to the proportions and actual details of real elephants, and it is not cartoonish either. It is a nice blend if you will.
I dunno if I've gotten any point across, but I hope I've inspired some thought.

Back to my original speach, think of a pose or two, sketch it out or find references and see what details become more prominent in what poses. It may help to identify a style, a theme, or some insight into what details need to be modeled vs textured.

Cheers,
Alexander

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 72 27-08-2008 , 06:30 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I havent seen Horton hears a who (Im waiting for the dvd)

I made a few sketched a while back, but i doubt ill be able to find them....

# 73 27-08-2008 , 06:38 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Found a sketch i must have made about a year ago.........

Attached Images
# 74 27-08-2008 , 10:39 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Im giving this a rest for a few days while in think about my options

# 75 28-08-2008 , 06:18 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Ok Ive decided, I want a realistic elephant
I have no artistic flare or styling and i think i might actually be easier to make a realistic one....