Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 61 09-08-2003 , 05:43 PM
do you remember school? when the professors told you to make a 1500+ word redaction on "how did i spent my hollydays"(or whatever...)(i suppose you "strangers" also did that in school?user added image

I think we all are dying for you to make one redaction or a diary on "how i got my dream-work and what i am doing"

user added image

# 62 10-08-2003 , 11:12 AM
Subscriber
oh congrats man user added image

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 63 10-08-2003 , 11:34 AM
Subscriber
Hi Alan,

yippie de hippie... Wauw... Wauw... Wauw... :bgreen: :bgreen: :bgreen:

Congratulations with your new job... user added image

Mike Milne from Framestore CFC also seems like a great guy... he did some talking on the 3D Festival in Copenhagen... so if you bump into him just give him some regards and say thanx for his talk on the 3D festival... user added image

this deserves some user added image ... cheers... user added image

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 64 10-08-2003 , 02:59 PM
Mike Milne is a really cool guy! really enthusiastic and always willing to chat to people from what I've seen. I was taken to meet him but he wasnt there unfortunatley. But his office is the floor below mine so I'm sure I will see him wandering around the offices user added image

I think we all are dying for you to make one redaction or a diary on "how i got my dream-work and what i am doing"

Well work hard, stay in school, dont do drugs, drink lots, smoke more, kill yourself with long hours in the lab, then send your showreel out in blind hope, be VERY suprised when a company shows interest in you, be even MORE surprised when they call you back for a 2nd interview, hit the floor when they offer you a job, panic about the fact you have 4 days to find a pad in london and lose all interest in your MSc user added image that's pretty much it! lol I mean i didnt do anything special I was just the right person in the right place at the right time. Seriously! I can post my showreel up if you want but as I said it's nothing special!

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 65 10-08-2003 , 03:03 PM
Will a degree really help you if you are amazing at 3d.....I mean if you have a great reel, wont companies want you regardless???

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 66 10-08-2003 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, that's a good point.

As far as I can see (from interviews with industry pros), degrees become more and more important now, as there is a such a huge pool of talent waiting for jobs.

Taking all this into account, the shops can now allow themselves to be picky about the artists they want to employ.

Hmmm...even if I would, I couldn't attend any kind of animation school/university (unless I could afford to visit some private school like Gnomon, which is obviously not an option).

Yeah, yeah...in my past life, I have been a very bad boy... user added image

Come to think of it, I believe it's time to go out to some Biergarten and have some liquid refreshments! user added image

Cheers! user added image

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 67 10-08-2003 , 03:20 PM
Vampus
a degree just helps you refine and learn your skills. user added image

# 68 10-08-2003 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber
A couple of month ago, I read an interview with Jonathan Privett (Head of 3D at Rushes).

The tenor of what he said was, that from his point of view, degrees are a MUST, and that even most artists WITH a degree are just not good enough.

To me it seems that they are looking for young, fresh graduates with 10+ years of industry experience who have mastered every existing major 3d package and like to work long hours for minimum wages. user added image

Ok, maybe I'm a bit too harsh and it's not that bad, yet it's bad enough. user added image

Well...

Subdivide and conquer!

# 69 10-08-2003 , 03:39 PM
Vampus
Welcome to the real world Renderizer user added image

I'm looking for full time work(not 3d, just NORMAL work) That want juniors(18 or younger) with 5 years experience and who are managers.

# 70 10-08-2003 , 03:55 PM
this degree has defniatley opened the door for me (and others in my year). The university has such strong links to industry here and the university is considered to be one of the best in europe for this sort of stuff. The master's is expensive (£5000) but worth it because it's only 1 year, it's really good fun, excellent links to industry, you meet loads of people who will be your peers in the workplace and future contacts etc. A degree is worth it for sure! in my case it was my first degree that really helped me (BSc Computer Science).

They are looking for experience but they also realise that people need jobs to get experience and that's where the degree helps. It proves that you are hard working and can maintain a level of discipline over an extended period of time.

user added image

Alan

Ps. Plus you get to drink yourself stupid on many occasions and have loads of fun..... user added image

IMDB
# 71 10-08-2003 , 11:21 PM

Pure_Morning wrote: I may post my reel sometime, but it's nothing special

It's nothing special? So wtf did u use to get the job at Framestore?

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 72 11-08-2003 , 01:21 AM
skill emmmm bribery.... user added image It was my background in other stuff that really sealed it for me. Well that's what they told me user added image It's not completley about your reel.....

Alan

IMDB
# 73 11-08-2003 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber
Yeah, I think part of it is due to the fact that you're good at coding, too (correct me, if I'm wrong)...

What's so funny about it (as far as I am concerned) is that I used to write a lot of 6502/6502C assembler/machine code back in the early 80s (from that time I now Tom Hudson, the original mind behind the 3DS Max), but if it comes to scripting these days, I'm scared to death! user added image

I still have a lot of the program listings (friggin needle printer!), but if I look at them today, I'm always pretty close to a heart attack, so I avoid that if I can! user added image

Anyway: GOOD LUCK TO YOU !!!!!

Subdivide and conquer!

# 74 11-08-2003 , 09:43 AM
Subscriber
hey alan,

but stay here and inspire some newbies (e.g. me) so one day i can create something as hobbyist that is nice to look at user added image

congratulations on the job and all user added image

# 75 11-08-2003 , 10:26 AM
Subscriber
How about a new series:

"Alan Woods reporting from inside the Industry"
-------------------------------------------------------------

user added image user added image

Subdivide and conquer!