Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 61 23-10-2003 , 01:45 AM
want good .. no no no.. GREAT terrain? Get yerself a little program called TERRAGEN. It renders photoreal terrains and landscapes which are also importable into Maya.

Check it out.
Created with the click of a button, rendered in about 2 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 62 23-10-2003 , 01:53 AM
This will turn out great if you stick with it user added image

# 63 23-10-2003 , 02:56 PM

Originally posted by xian
G'day tank

Cragy sharp spiky mountains are worth a shot, and they are lower poly as well.

about your flag, waterfall and fog. I think its good to learn the special effects tools in any program, I think it's also important to learn how to fake them. special effects tend to be render intensive and cpu intensive. if you ever have to work to a deadline they may interfere with your work flow.

some fakes:

flag- 1-2 animated lofted splines(maybe a latice)

waterfall/ fog planes(few polys) with animated texture,-[same with a volumetric lighting effect only the animated txture(noise) is in the self alumination slot]----did you see the waterfall in Ice age? about 5 planes with different textures.

you need to be a bit proficient with the hypergraph but the results can be better. because its geometry and textures the scene will hardly slowdown, and they render supa fast, if it's in the distance no one will ever notice.

just to say theres allways more than one way to skin a cat.

I'ts lookin fantastic bro!!!!!!! :bgreen:

xian user added image

Hey Xian!! how r u...

Thanks for the tips , You gave me another point of view since sometimes i don't expand my view cause im learning as i go user added image

As Always thanks

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 64 23-10-2003 , 03:13 PM

Originally posted by dave_baer
want good .. no no no.. GREAT terrain? Get yerself a little program called TERRAGEN. It renders photoreal terrains and landscapes which are also importable into Maya.

Check it out.
Created with the click of a button, rendered in about 2 minutes.

Hey Dave!!

I try the terragen and is great for what it does, But i try to import it in maya in OBJ and it creates this massive ground with too much polys that my pc struggles just to move it even when i have an Nvidia Quadro 4 750 xgl 128 ddr and AMD 1ghz hmm?

But it gave me the wireframe picture on how to do the terrain, lets see on my next update how it will look when i modify it hehehe.....uuuuuuu the texture mapping struggle again....
user added image

Thanks you for the help as always...
user added image

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 65 23-10-2003 , 03:17 PM

Originally posted by scrpat317
This will turn out great if you stick with it user added image

thanks scrpat317 i am beleive me, this will cost my marriage
:argue: but thast the price I will pay hehehe:headbang:

# 66 23-10-2003 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber
dave, Does terragen also import UV information/textures into Maya? I'm guessing not as they are probably procedurals? Great looking landscape though.

I'll be keeping a close eye on your scene tank2002, it's looking great so far. I'm starting a very similar scene soon incorporating cg with live action. The script is being written now. Don't know much about the story but it's set in Spain, sword fighting. Going to take place either on a balcony or one of the Castle turrets.

# 67 23-10-2003 , 08:15 PM
One of the first times I have said this but the water neads more reflections. I like the castle. The fire looks pretty good.

# 68 23-10-2003 , 09:50 PM

Originally posted by mrmacca
dave, Does terragen also import UV information/textures into Maya? I'm guessing not as they are probably procedurals? Great looking landscape though.

I'll be keeping a close eye on your scene tank2002, it's looking great so far. I'm starting a very similar scene soon incorporating cg with live action. The script is being written now. Don't know much about the story but it's set in Spain, sword fighting. Going to take place either on a balcony or one of the Castle turrets.

Great! I'll try to post and as soon as i can, when finish these scene I will begin shooting with blue screen....keep watching!!

# 69 23-10-2003 , 09:59 PM

Originally posted by RickStefani
One of the first times I have said this but the water neads more reflections. I like the castle. The fire looks pretty good.

Hi,

I try to create the reflections but when i turn on the refraction a memory error comes up...NOT ENOUGH PHYSICAL MEMORY!!!

these scene eat's 1.50GB when the error appears, any suggestion to avoid this?

user added image

# 70 23-10-2003 , 10:05 PM
Hahaha, Do not mean to laugh at your missery. I am actually laughing at our missery. I have the same problem with my jeep. I use the batch renderer and it works half of the time. I just changed the memory option to grid. It has pumped out two renders without error. Not sure if that helped. Batch renderer did a bit. Nice thing about the batch renderer is that it will kick you out of the renderer and not maya when it fails.

Was the message actually. "NOT ENOUGH STORAGE AVAILABLE TO PROCESS THIS COMAND"

# 71 23-10-2003 , 11:18 PM
mrmacca: Yes. It should also import the uv layout as well. At least for the ground anyway. I dont think the sky is exportable.

hey tank... did u know Terragen also does water? user added image

Attached Images

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 72 24-10-2003 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber
It looks like an interesting program dave, would be great for Tanks scene as long as the mesh isn't too heavy. I was looking around and also saw World builder it looks very nice but the integration into 3ds Max looks awesome. Be great to have that in Maya.

Thier website states:

WorldBuilder Professional is so closely integrated with Max and Viz that you may consider it as a plugin for these popular professional packages.

WorldBuilder Professional can run simultaneously with Max (or Viz) on the same system and exchange data in run time through a Communicator, bypassing file import and export.

Two packages can share the same cameras with animation, light sources, meshes and gizmos. Shared lights automatically generate composite shadows.

The rendering in any of the packages evokes rendering in the other package and the result is composed automatically.

Besides normal z-buffer composition of the images it also composes reflections and shadows, giving results that are by far better than with any traditional z-buffer composer.

It comes at a price for that integration though, $999.

# 73 24-10-2003 , 02:05 PM
I created yesterday a scene like you did Dave, on terragen and looks awsome I try to import it into maya (with a plugin exporter in OBJ format...) and
the only thing that you can transfer is the terrain no water or sky...hmm?

I think I have to still work on my terrain ha?

Attached Thumbnails

# 74 24-10-2003 , 02:06 PM
montain modification above

# 75 24-10-2003 , 03:20 PM
It needs a mote... hehe user added image. :bgreen:

...and that is how I saved the world.