Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-05-2013 , 11:05 AM
The thin red line

Wheel ground contact constraints

Hi Guys
The tutorial I am working from uses a geometry constrain to hold the wheels to the ground but the tank I am rigging its track will lift of the ground some times so I don't think that will work, any idears would be welcome or do I have to go fully dynamic witch I was trying to avoid (the chassis will be dynamic to a degree). The example I have given is a little extreme ............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 04-05-2013 , 03:26 PM
The thin red line
I might have thought of a solution Im using a measuring tool going through a set range node to control the spring blend shape if I use the same set range node to turn on and of the geometry constrain fore each wheel I think that will work.................dave

Edit: Can I thank myself if it works...........user added image............dave

# 3 04-05-2013 , 05:33 PM
The thin red line
The solution was starring me in the face don't constrain the wheel constrain the controller for the wheel as the wheel has been set up with limitations, I think that's sorted thanks for all your help.........LOL.....user added image.........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 04-05-2013 , 08:47 PM
Hey Dave,

When you get all this worked out I for one would love to see a tutorial on the complete rigging of a tracked vehicle. It was one of the things on my list before maya went south on me.

I have my new 2014 version but I have not had a chance to get in in yet. Hoping it fixes the refresh bug.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 05-05-2013 at 01:26 PM.
# 5 05-05-2013 , 11:40 AM
rm3d
i would also love to see a playblast of it moving, with the rig visible, interested to see what kind of work it involves user added image

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 6 05-05-2013 , 03:22 PM
The thin red line
Not sure Rick that I could do a full one as most of it would be plagiarism but I could show what I have done and were you can find the tutorial to do it, just did a test on rotating the hull witch made the suspension twist in a funny way straight away I thought a aim constraint was the problem and I was right changing the world up to object then setting a locator as up. Yes once I get a chance I will do a playblast chilledoutredhead. I am test things as I go along the one with a bone on the outside is using a spring constrain but I will not use it as I will build that into the hull control witch will be easier..............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 05-05-2013 , 04:44 PM
Not sure it would be that bad to bring all the individual tuts and tips together into one coherent tut. I am pretty sure I have links to most of the various tuts on the topic but they seem to leave some element out. Antony Ward's tracked vehicle tut seems to be the most complete. But he kind of fudges the suspension part.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 8 05-05-2013 , 05:24 PM
The thin red line

Not sure it would be that bad to bring all the individual tuts and tips together into one coherent tut. I am pretty sure I have links to most of the various tuts on the topic but they seem to leave some element out. Antony Ward's tracked vehicle tut seems to be the most complete. But he kind of fudges the suspension part.

I must admit they all seem to leave some thing out Steven Hughes suspension left out the changing the aim constrain to object I think that it was alright for his car setup but not for a tank, lets see how far I get with this then take it from there user added image...............dave