Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 26-07-2016 , 09:59 AM

Automating simple tasks, new to scripting

Hey guys, I'm not new to Maya, but I'm super new to scripting. I was hoping someone could help me kind of cobble together a script or two. I've been getting into rigging and some tasks are really really repetitive and time consuming and was hoping to trim some of that by using scripts. Essentially what I'd like to do is

With an object or series of objects selected > create locator for each object with the same translate/rotation values > create a group with the same translate and rotation values. And also establish a naming convention so they take the name of the selected object and add _locator or _group suffix. At some point make it so the outliner hierarchy is group > locator > object.

This seemed really simple but after hours of googling and lame attempts in the script editor I figured I'd find people who actually know this stuff. Any help would be super appreciated.

Thanks,
~M