Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 13-11-2011 , 06:13 PM
Subscriber

Double Layers of Verts?

Ok this is a bit strange. I am using the "Polygon Mesh tool. created the eye socket shape. Go to adjust the verts. I am seeing double layers of verts as I move them around to adjust.

I did not command double layers. It appears as I edit the verts. Ok so I turn on Xray mode and I see double polygons as if I created two of them which I never did.

Wow what could be causing this. I have to start over dangit!

Any help would be great. I spent 3 hours trying to figure it out and I got nowhere.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I am doing something or over looking a slight detail here. And dagblasted I was on my way, Oh well it's better to correct mistake early on right user added image

# 2 13-11-2011 , 07:00 PM
EduSciVis-er
Did you do some extruding in the area? It's possible you did a double extrude, or didn't fully undo an extrude (it takes one more Ctrl+z than you expect). If it's a full extra loop, you can just double click in edge mode (select the loop) and edit mesh > delete edge/vertex. If that doesn't work, can you post a screenie?

# 3 13-11-2011 , 08:04 PM
Subscriber
user added imageYes I did extrude. I am working around the eye region starting from the inside out with extrude. part of my problems are, I'm making mistakes by doing Modo commands and Maya is freaking out on me. I think I should erase of delete this section and start over. One of those things any of us go through switching over to another app.

Another thing I should mention is i am not that good at keyboard commands as of yet. I know that I can move faster if I did, However one step at a time right. But this time I want just give up on Maya

Ok so how do we insert screen shots. I am very new here. never mind I figured it out.

Is there a way to select those poly areas and merge as one in each section?

Thanks

Last edited by PenPixels; 13-11-2011 at 08:19 PM.
# 4 13-11-2011 , 09:01 PM
The thin red line
Looks a bit of a mess to be honest with you, you could try deleting the faces from the back and all those tri's, or delete it go and have a cup of tea then come back and give it another go.............dave

# 5 13-11-2011 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
Yes I deleted the entire thing and started over it looks a lot better now. A gain as I am going through this. I have to force my mind to abandon what I've learned in Modo.

Maya is very sensitive in it's key commands. However once I get the tools under control I will be on my way.

Thanks Dave

# 6 13-11-2011 , 10:19 PM
Maya is not really sensitive you just have to be aware that it has its own set of hotkeys. Randomly, hitting modo hotkeys is going to get you in trouble very quickly just as if you went into modo and started pounding out maya hotkeys.

The "g" and "y" keys in particular are dangerous because they repeat the last tool or action. The "b" key I see you have already run into is a previous post. The "s" key you have not mentioned yet but that on will start creating random key frames if you are not careful.

The bottom line is you just have to be careful about the hotkeys you are pressing.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 14-11-2011 , 02:59 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Ctbram-

I realize this, my bad. However it's like learning how to walk all over again. Like i said before I started out using Maya and things about Maya ran me away.

This time I want just run away, I have to get past this curve and I will, Thanks to this amazing forum and me hanging in their.

And please remember I want try and ug you guys to much. I will always try and figure some thing out myself first and once I get stuck is when I will ask. So it's not like I am not trying on my own I really am.

like the one thing I have to get use to is this getting rid of history. What is the proper way of doing this from the menu bar because over to the right of the UI I tried it and the history want leave.

Another thing is sometimes the Insert loop tool work and other times it want. It this a known bug in Maya. I've been away this long and maybe I missed out on something. I am using Maya 2010.

one more thing. I am working off my image plains. I imported a back view however before I press the import button I get my front image in this window. How do I make that image go away so the back image has it's own view port. I am not importing through the Hypershader. However through the Quad view windows. I 've tried to ignore this but when I get to the back of my image and it's not there It's gonna cost me big time. Just thought to ask this. I want to put the back view in my Top window. Change it to a back view without seeing my front image there.

Thanks Again.

Last edited by PenPixels; 14-11-2011 at 03:29 AM.
# 8 14-11-2011 , 03:55 AM
EduSciVis-er
To delete the history, I believe it is Edit > Delete by type > History (make sure you're in object mode and the object is selected).

The insert edge loop tool requires quads all the way along, otherwise it doesn't know which way to go.

There's a couple ways to change or delete the image plane, view > select camera and check the image plane tab in the attribute editor (to change it). You can also delete it under the camera tab in the hypershade.

Hope that helps. Keep plugging along.

# 9 14-11-2011 , 04:49 AM
Subscriber
Stwert-

Thanks for this info. Ok before I screw up something. you said in Object mode. In Maya how do you know when you're in object mode.

In Modo the it's right there in your face. With Maya where do I check for this. Sorry for mentioning Modo over here. My deepest apology.

To this point I've been saving as I go with deleting my history. Could this also be a reason why things are messing up on me.

Thanks

# 10 14-11-2011 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber
object mode is when you can select meshes or groups rather than faces or vertices or edges or UVs (which are components).

when picking up a new software package after having used a different one you only need to learn the different user interface quirks and features, everything else you learnt about modeling and texturing etc still applies. So to say you have to force yourself to forget everything and learn how to walk again doesn't overly make sense.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 15-11-2011 , 02:11 AM
Unfortunately, for me at least, the user interface is the larger part of learning a new packge. That is why I struggle with zbrush, modo, photoshop, illustrator, nuke, ae, ... Every time I switch packages I have to remember new navigation keys. I cannot tell you how many times I am in photoshop and try to tumble, dolly, pan using maya navigation. And don't even get me started on illustrator, photoshop, and AE! All made by the same company and all have just slightly different UI controls. Just enough to make you want to take an ice pick and find the head of adobe and stick it in his temple!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 12 15-11-2011 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
i sometimes get mixed up with the keys as well when i go between packages, or even operating systems...

And don't even get me started on illustrator, photoshop, and AE! All made by the same company and all have just slightly different UI controls. Just enough to make you want to take an ice pick and find the head of adobe and stick it in his temple!

hah, yeah, same company, but different project, different project lead. and probably some of the programs are acquired and so keep the old hot keys for legacy purposes.
There would be so many 'teething problems'

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 13 15-11-2011 , 12:42 PM
Subscriber
Chirone-

Thanks for your words of advice but we all have our different struggles when it come to switching over to a new applications. I am back with Maya for several reasons. One is this company that I am reaching out to is very closed mined when it comes to other apps such as Modo. I mentioned to this company I could save OBJ's and go from there. They did not careuser added image, they want me to get into Maya regardless of what Modo is.

Again very closed minded companies out there not realizing what Modo really could be in any pipeline. so my struggles are what they are until I can get past what I have learned in Modo.

I am not saying that I will abandon Modouser added image, However I learned how to move very fast in Modo and Maya does not work like Modo.

So please understand my frustration hereuser added image. I will screw up a lot of times, but this time I can not just walk away from Maya for many reasons due to companies out there and how backwards many of them think when it comes to using other apps than what they are using. I hate this because I can already do the job, However they want to see me perform in Maya.

They need me to rigg as well. Modo is growing and is not there as of yet. However Maya can Rigg and animate. Another thing I am wondering when it comes to very large scenes or a master scene how well does Maya allow us to add things without creating "Instances" Modo slows down when you go there. Does Maya do the very same thing i am wondering?

Seriously so how do you tell an ignorant boss on the other end of the telephone that you can move just as fast in another app but want even listen to a word your saying let alone can model or do the work him or her self maybe. So this is what's going on here. i will get my head around Maya I mean what can you do right. However the industry out there is not so kind to any other better app to add to their workflow which to me does not make any dam sense but who I am i argue with the person who may offer a job.user added image

Last edited by PenPixels; 15-11-2011 at 12:52 PM.