Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 06-03-2009 , 09:21 AM
The Nurb Herd
keep at it dango, its really coming along... you're a bit of a workaholic!

# 32 06-03-2009 , 10:25 AM
You could be right h.horror, i'm just loving doing it, it's the first real project i've done so getting too into it! As i was kept awake all night by noisy music playing neighbors i used my time constructively and did some more, not done the beveling yet on the hard edges, but will do soon, hope my pc can handle it!

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 09-03-2009 , 08:48 AM
Had a Maya free weekend and now am back to it! I'm starting to have problems rendering with Mentalray as the polycount is going up and up since i added some plants, have to do some cleaning up but should be ok, maybe lower some settings a little, anyhow progress is happening slowly but surely!

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 09-03-2009 , 09:05 AM
Subscriber
what do you mean problems? like its going slower as it gets to the paint fx plants you have there? (i'm assuming they are paint fx)
put your paint fx on a display layer and hide them until the final render if you're happy with them
it will porbbaly put your render time back down to as it was before

or you could alter mental ray and its BSP trees... i forget how to do that though

it looks awesome, the wires are really clean!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 35 09-03-2009 , 09:15 AM
Thanks Chirone! I am quite pleased with it so far but what i have planned for the rest may kill my pc! The problem isn't the render time, it's that here and there Mentalray stops and i get a "Fatal Error,please save and exit Maya" message, i do that and load it back up and it works again. I'm wondering if it's because my graphics card is crapolla, it's a nvidia 8400gs,only 256mb, for the small form factor pc i have. I'm going to upgrade it in a couple of weeks to a dual head one as i want to run two monitors anyway, so maybe if i run the new one on just one monitor it'll help?

The plants are paintfx, but converted in polys as Mentalray won't render paintfx as far as i know, and that pushed up the polycount considerably.

# 36 09-03-2009 , 09:19 AM
Also, I'm loving the Cactuar stuff you've been doing, I'd forgotten all about him til I spied him on your Wip thread! Keep up the good work!

# 37 09-03-2009 , 01:31 PM
For your bushes, plants, and trees, try making them instances. For example, make 1 bush, then when you duplicate, use duplicate special and set it to instance. That way maya doesn't make another bush, but only re-displays the one you made. It should make it much easier on your computer.

Edit: I'm assuming that after you use paint to create your plants, that you are converting them to polygons.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 38 09-03-2009 , 05:32 PM
Excellent advice Perfecto, thanks,I will do that, I had read about Instances but didn't have a clue how to use them so that will help hugely!

# 39 09-03-2009 , 06:05 PM
Hey Dango, MR has nothhing to do with your GFX card, more likely its hitting its max RAM and dropping out, try loading files to BOT's and baking any procedurals into textures to lower the load.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 40 09-03-2009 , 06:38 PM
Thanks Gster123, I'm not totally sure how to do that but I'll read up on it and give it a try! I managed to render everything again with more plants added and it worked but anything to make the process smoother would be good. Also I'm wondering, I made instances of one bush and placed them about, but the polycount still went up although I checked and they are all instances of the first, anyone know if this is right or not? It did render as if they were instances I think as it didn't take any longer than with just one.

# 41 10-03-2009 , 01:16 AM
All the advice I've recieved has really paid off so thanks to all! Still getting long render times but i guess thats to be expected. Have added some plants,trees and other bits and pieces, more to come soon....

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 10-03-2009 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber
just out of curiosity how long is it taking to render this scene? scene is looking good though keep up the good work

# 43 10-03-2009 , 01:46 AM
Subscriber
wholly crap, dude!
:bow:

all you need to do now is adjust the materials on the windows and the round roofs and then render it with increased shadow rays and light angle (again, don't do that part until you're done with your materials or you'll be sitting there for a while)

the sudden change from dark to light on the round roofs is odd... not really sure how you can fix that though...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 44 10-03-2009 , 02:31 AM
Rhetoric Camel: It's taking around half an hour to render it, I don't mind though as it gives me a break to do other bits and rest my eyes, thanks for the good words!

Chirone: Thanks for the reaction! I will be fiddling with it for the next couple of weeks and adding as much more as my Pc can handle, I already tried out upping some of the shadow levels and other settings and my Pc shut itself down! A blue message which I didn't get a chance to read came up and all systems went zzzzzzip! When I rebooted everything was reset back to my last settings so it was cool but I was worried for a minute!

Thought I'd post a different angle as it may get a bit boring with the same old one over and over again, will render some other ones and post them at some point too.

Cheers all!

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 10-03-2009 , 02:33 AM
Rhetoric Camel: Sorry, scrap that last last replie to you, just had a look and the last render took 51minutes, hadn't looked at the render time for a while...