Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-07-2011 , 12:02 AM

edge loop distance

I've been using a lot of edge loops in my models lately, and I've faced an issue with how to keep the edge loops CLEAN, and same distance from edge for several different areas, especially for something that you want to subD or smooth.

Imagine trying to create a star. You want to add edge loop to the 5 points. Since they all are separated, you individually have to add edge loops to all 5 points, however they may be off just a little bit.

I'm a nitpik, and if it's something that is mechanical/non-organic, it would make sense to keep it exactly the same.

How do I "copy" the distance of the edge loop to another edge to keep it consistent?

I know you can do it for one side of a model, and use instance and it will copy to the other side. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm talking about models that are not created as halves, or are "not created equal".

# 2 11-07-2011 , 12:14 AM
EduSciVis-er
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you can change the options to be "equal distance from edge" instead of relative distance.

# 3 11-07-2011 , 12:51 AM

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you can change the options to be "equal distance from edge" instead of relative distance.

Nope. Perhaps I wasn't clear?

What I mean is: For example - I have 3 extruded edges from a cylinder. I want to do the edge loops around the three extruded polys. Since they all are separated from each other, the edge loop will not go around all three of them. So you'll have to add edge loops individually, thus causing the distance of the edge (of the extruded poly) and the edge loop to be a little different.

If this is not clear, I'll gladly take some screenshots! I'm terrible at trying to explain. user added image

# 4 11-07-2011 , 01:02 AM
added pics for clarification.

user added image

Circled - I added the edge loops, yet they are all different. Is there a way to "copy"? Without doing - remove half-of-the-model-then-instance-and-merge type of thing?

# 5 11-07-2011 , 02:28 AM
Lifetime Member
It is easier to create one object then copy/merge etc...but I have experimented...created 3 cubes...combined them into one mesh. I then did and edge loop and looked at the options and played with them. It APPEARS as though the weight slider has something to do with them..so I set it to 0.1...selected split ring 2 and over did the distance I wanted to 0.5. Then applied the 0.1 weight attribute to all 3...seemed to work....

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 11-07-2011 , 03:05 AM
THANKS BULLET!! :-) That helps loads!! :-)

I do wish there was a method that will solve this issue - it would be just easier to do it in one step. Suppose you have multiple areas where you want the edge loops to be the same distance. I just learned how to do SubDs and stuff, so perhaps for someone who have done this all the time (edge loops to square off the edges for smoothing/SubD) it became an old hat.

Last edited by LadySekhmet; 11-07-2011 at 03:30 AM.
# 7 11-07-2011 , 03:25 AM
Lifetime Member
I just create then duplicate...its easier for me that way. I dont think there is an easy way LOL....honestly for what you are doing there (by the looks)...by the time you go around and adjust the edges you would have more than likely copy/duplicate/merge verts just as quick. I never worry about edge offsets...well havent so far. I think I could get them so close you wouldnt know it anyway. Im not sure what the 'weight' attribute is but it did seem to control the offset..I looked in the attributes to see if it gave a distance but couldnt see anything...still as long as it works...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes