Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-10-2005 , 01:04 AM

Maya supports what files?

I have the personal version of Maya. But I was wondering if the full version of maya supports more files?

I am looking for .obj files.

I have been playing with 3d art for the past year. I would really like to get into doing clothing for the models. I came across Maya, I like the program but did not see that is supports .obj.

Is there a plug in for this? If maya is not what I am looking for is there another program for 3d modeling that will let me save/export in .obj along with importing .obj files?

# 2 10-10-2005 , 11:25 AM
Subscriber
Maya will import .obj files

# 3 10-10-2005 , 12:26 PM
the full version or will the personal free version too?

Cause when I go to see what can be imported it doesn't see my .obj files.

# 4 10-10-2005 , 01:11 PM
# 5 10-10-2005 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
The FBX plugin was origianally from kaydara's motion builder, now part of alias/discreet, so that meshes/animation data could be ported between apps.

I dont imagine there is a .obj import version in maya ple though.

# 6 10-10-2005 , 01:58 PM
i am sooo confused...

you say maya will import obj files. but when I go to import one it says it "unrecognized file type".

if maya does then support obj files then how do i get it into the program?

or is this feature only with the Full version of the program and not the freebie version that I have been trying to play with.

# 7 10-10-2005 , 04:08 PM
Subscriber
OBJ files are not supported in the PLE, which I think is a bit stupid, considering it is a Wavefront file format, and Alias was, at one point, called Alias|Wavefront. Surely it ouldn't be too hard for the guys who code the PLE up to include an OBJ importer (without the export part, obviously).

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805