Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 20-01-2005 , 02:31 AM
Subscriber

Character Sketch

For my animation class in school we are going to do a class project. Basically we want to make a short. The main character is a fly...and its an funny little story....anyway....this is an idea i had for the fly......I wanted to give him a cute pilot personality......I feel like he looks somewhat adventurous (sp?) Anyway.....let me know what you guys think.....btw I am not the best 2d artist.
user added image

# 2 20-01-2005 , 02:47 AM
Haha. I love the idea. I see a lot of potential. Can't wait to see it modeled!

# 3 23-01-2005 , 03:32 AM
Hi Dana, I just saw that you're in Miami, FL. I'm curious as to what school you're attending?

The sketch looks good, but did it have to be so big?

Please read the guidelines at this post before posting anything further.

Thanks.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 4 23-01-2005 , 07:36 AM
Subscriber
hey dude...sorry about the size user added image...it was really my first posting of a sketch.......but now I know for future reference.

Right now im going to MDC and doing their AA in Computer Animation
I'm on the final strech...so hopefully by either sept or oct. I should be transferring to Florida Atlantic in davie and get my MFA in Computer Art.
Right now the animation class in MDC is really......how I can I say this without saying its crappy.......well let;s just say we are working on Maya 4 and well is a pretty basic class.
So I am trying to work on a few things at home and really get a feel for the program and what not.
Anywho.....are you going to school??

# 5 23-01-2005 , 08:15 AM
Dana,

Too bad about MDCC but we all go thru that no matter where we go to school. I went to Miami International University of Art and Design and I kinda feel the same way. They didn't teach us half the stuff I needed to know about Maya and animation. I learned basically everything on my own... except psychology. user added image Just stick with it since it can only really help you when you make the transfer.

Anyway, I did the MFA thing and now I'm teaching at Digital Media Arts College in Boca, about three miles from FAU. Have you checked them out?

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 6 23-01-2005 , 05:36 PM
BTW, do you have a Noelia Delgado as one of your animation teachers?

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 7 24-01-2005 , 04:05 AM
Subscriber
Hey Dave, I know what you mean. I am also attending Miami International University of Art and Design. I'm just getting into modelling classes with Maya. But i'm way ahead of them. I've done tons of practice and studying on my own, even getting into advanced stuff like Dynamics, Soft bodies and MEL programming. And now I'm just sitting bored as hell sitting in introductory 3D classes. I guess it all comes down to a simple piece of paper with your name on it, aka a diploma.

I'm glad to know you went to my school and I guess you're succesful.

Steven.

# 8 24-01-2005 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber
Well.....My animation professor is Humberto Lopez.

And I haven't really looked at DMAC
will definately check it out.
RIght know I have the Florida Bright Futures scholarship which covers 75% of my tuition. If I can use that there, then i ill take it into MAJOR consideration.
That's really my priority. I am putting myself through school with that and a full time job lol
I really want to get the most out of maya....especially since it is mostly a male dominated career.
Anyway thanks for the info!!

BTW please check my attepmpt at a character WIP thread....i would love to get TONS of feedback from you guys seeing as though schoo isn't really the best resource for me.
Again thanks a lot guys!! user added image

# 9 24-01-2005 , 08:35 AM
sdch1000
I wouldn't say I was successful. This is only my first job out of college. Just a stepping stone to what I actually want to do... Intergallactic domination! Mua ha ha ha!!!! user added image

Say hello to Sergio and Steve Ford for me.

DanaScully
If you have 75% of your tuition paid for, why are you wasting it at MDCC? I know that sounds bad but seriously... Why not a school with a reputation for animation? Take that money and go for someplace that will satisfy you educationally. Not that MDCC is a bad school by any means. I almost went there myself, but only because I had to pay for school myself. Well, no matter. I'm sure it will all pan out for you. The important thing is that you keep at it. It's a tough field that we're in and practice only makes it easier.

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 10 24-01-2005 , 09:17 AM
Subscriber
Like the concept, but aren't flies esys farther apart? Then again flies don't wear aviator's googles so why ask at all. Sorry to hear the animation courses aren't up to par. Maybe that's why I've avoided them up to this point... either that or I'm just not into school in general. Anyway, isn't DAVE school in Florida? That's "supposed" to be a good one. Good rep anyway. DAVE=Digital Animation and Video Editing.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."