Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-05-2006 , 07:48 PM

HELP NEEDED WITH MENTAL RAY LIGHTING

I have been trying for a couple of months to realistically light a indoor scene and render using mental ray with no luck. I am getting very frustrated and would appreciate any help in order for me to achieve this.

The link below is to a image which shows the kind of lighting i am tryin g to create.

https://www.3dlinks.com/gallery_fullview.cfm?id=18337

PLZ HELP!!!!!!

# 2 02-05-2006 , 08:31 PM
Subscriber
lol

ur in luck some 1 on this site done that

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 02-05-2006 , 08:38 PM
yeah- look at my signatuer (fav work in maya), its not as good- but whatever.

How I did it-

I went to www.cgtalk.com and into the Maya Rendering Section- VRay Style Renderings With Mental Ray.

And I read about half the thread (took a good 3 hrs to do that). That taught me 'nuff!

Hope that helps

Matt user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 4 02-05-2006 , 10:44 PM

THANKS FOR UR HELP GUYS

thanks matt ill go onto cgtalk and read that forum on vray style mental ray give it a go and post how i got on.

and also ive added pbman to my msn buddies list.

# 5 02-05-2006 , 10:57 PM

I COULDNT FIND THAT THREAD ON CGTALK

HI MATT I WENT TO THAT SITE BUT COULDNT FIND THE THREADS U WAS TALKING ABOUT NOTHING ABOUT VRAY STYLE RENDERS USING MENTAL RAY DO U HAVE AN EXACT LINK TO THE ONE YOUR TALKING ABOUT ???

THANKS.

# 6 03-05-2006 , 12:18 AM

# 7 03-05-2006 , 07:54 AM

COULDNT FIND THE LINK AGAIN MATT

# 8 03-05-2006 , 12:11 PM

# 9 03-05-2006 , 09:51 PM

I have started to model and render a vray style interior

i have managed to get somewhere by reading the forum that matt recommended thanks matt very usefull !!!

i have basically modeled a empty room and have created to windows on one wall of the room next to each other i have managed to successfully illuminate the room using final gather global illumination photon immisions all this done by two mental ray area lights acting as the main source of light coming through the windows i created.

heres my question does anyone know how i can create the rays of light coming from my area lights i have used for my windows ? basically sun light rays coming through the windows and into my room !!!

Do i need to attach something to my area lights?

Plz Can someone help !!!

# 10 03-05-2006 , 09:53 PM
yeah, well, what I do is I have a far away spot light as my sun source, and I use the area lights outside of the windows as sources for my ambient light.

# 11 04-05-2006 , 01:51 PM

MORE HELP NEEDED WITH MENTAL RAY MATERIALS

cheers again matt for all ur help ive learned alot!!! another thing i have had a look at ur interior work and i was wondering wot kind of materials and shaders u used? and how u got that clean one shade of green look on ur walls is there a special way to do that? or do u use standard shaders ?

pla can u get back to me soon cheers mate .

# 12 04-05-2006 , 08:32 PM
hey no problem.

All of the materials are Mental Ray materials.

DGS for all but the metal on the chair- the DGS with specular and glossy on 0. The diffuse is the color.

Dilectic Material for glass- color is the col, and the IOR is Index Of Refraction. Glass has IOR of 1.52. Diamond has IOR of 2.3. Air has IOR of 1.0002. A vacuum (no air, no nothing) has perfect 1 IOR. Water is 1.3.

Hope that helps,
Matt user added image

# 13 04-05-2006 , 11:19 PM
Yep thanks for that matt but the thing is i apply the dgs material for the walls but when i apply white for the ceilings or walls it doesnt look like its white like the white in ur interior render? i really do not know wot im doing wrong!!! when i render my walls which i want to look white they look grey.

i will attach to this message my render of the project and also after i will attach the maya file and maybe u could download it and work with it and see if u can come up with any different results.

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 04-05-2006 , 11:39 PM

AND HERE IS THE MAYA FILE

could u download this file matt if u can and have a play around with the light settings and materials and see if u can come up with anything.

it would be a great help.

Attached Files
File Type: mb lightingtest.mb (92.9 KB, 150 views)
# 15 05-05-2006 , 01:27 AM
Umm, can you post a .MA version, since you have Maya 7.0 and I have 6.5, I can't open your file.

If you post a .MA, then I can edit the file header and it will let me open it in my 6.5

And then I would gladly look at your scene.

Later,
Matt user added image