Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-07-2007 , 07:03 AM

Circles

Hey, i just started Maya again lately ive been finding it hard to concentrate on animation 2d/3d and im really wanting to get back into it. so i have a quick question, its probably really stupid but how do you create a circle hole in a model for example i want to create a door with a circle window in it, whats the easiest way to do so?

thanks jtg91

# 2 15-07-2007 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
not sure if this technique works on NURBS. im sure it does.

but for polygons >

to create a hole. Create a cyclinder to the size u want. place it in the position on the geometry u want the hole. (make sure its right in)

Then select the geometry, shift select the cyclinder. then go to

polygons > booleans > difference

however u may have problems when smoothing, so although this is the easiest technique, i wouldnt recommend unless your not smoothing it

hope this helps user added image

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 3 16-07-2007 , 01:49 AM
Thanks for the reply! great help, i wanted to know because i look around all the Finished work and WIP and see like cars created and just see nice circles lol and i always wondered how they do them so well.

thanks jtg

# 4 16-07-2007 , 04:10 AM
Didnt want to create a new topic because i knew this question was simple but how do you make the vetices more advance like more of them, so that you have more to model with, also how do you make it so there are less vertices so it easier to model with? thanks jtg

# 5 16-07-2007 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber
to make more, u can do 2 things:

select number of faces in the area u want more detail,...then go edit polygons > subdivide

or you can select the whole thing and go to
polygons > smooth

to reduce the amount

polygons > reduce

the only problem by doing this, is its very destructive and causes bad results. There is a better way of working tho, using subdivsion

# 6 16-07-2007 , 10:49 PM
ok thank you, right im going to give somethign ago now lol hopefully i can try and make something

# 7 17-07-2007 , 12:57 AM
How do i set values to 0 so i can set them lets say i want to set my translate Y up and then reset to 0. how i do this i remember reading about it somewhere but if fogot. thanks jtg

# 8 18-07-2007 , 06:58 AM
Subscriber
Modify > freeze transformations