Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-07-2008 , 11:01 PM

Earth Globe

Guys i want to model an Earth Globe with continents extruding out of it. Please tell me the steps to follow to do it. I was also wondering that one can first draw the outline of all the continents by tracing outlines on the image plane of the world map. But the thing i cant figure out is how to convert my outline that is on 2d plane to wrap around a sphere. Any other ideas!!! Please help!!! Guide me in steps!!! To be more clear i want to model like the following picture. I got this picture from 3d models website.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Attached Images
# 2 14-07-2008 , 11:07 PM
you can find earth maps through nasa including bump and spec and normal so i suggest doing this instead of modelling displacement can also be used with the bump map i suppose i dont have too much experience with displacement

# 3 15-07-2008 , 01:20 PM
To get that effect you'll have to "draw" the outline of the continents onto a sphere(high res mash) using the 'split polygon face' tool then you can select all of these faces and extrude them outwards.

Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)