Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-08-2008 , 12:52 AM

Learning basics

Hi all!

I just joined the site and I'm quite new to working with 3D graphics and I was wondering what tutorials would be best to go through first?

Thanks

# 2 19-08-2008 , 12:57 AM
I'm currently following the one for the human form, and it seems to be straightforward enough, but I've also had a bit of practice from a book that came with my edition of Maya.

# 3 19-08-2008 , 01:11 AM
Try Kurt's Basic Human Form tutorial(as mentioned or Cartoon Dog tutorial - both free. If you're having trouble with those try Maya's tutorials under 'Help' - you should probably go with polygon modeling first.
Welcome to SM,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 4 19-08-2008 , 10:32 AM
Subscriber
if you are new and want to learn the basics, you SHOULD (this is mandatory, you really have no better option) start with the tutorials that come with Maya in the help menu

in the time it takes to search the internet to find tutorials to learn the basics you would have already learnt how to navigate around the workspace, know you're way around it, and learnt how to make a temple from polygons

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D