Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-12-2008 , 11:04 PM
Acid44

So i want to practise painting in PS...

yea, i wanna practise some painting in PS... so i'm just wondering if anyone has any sketches scanned that they wouldn't mind me totally ruining... i can't use any of my own because A. i dont have a scanner and, B. my ex girl friend managed to get a hold of me sketchbook and then proceeded user added image

so yea... anyone have any that they wouldnt mind me screwin up? particularily not too detailed and like... idk... hominid themed, because i like doing angelic/demonic stuff right now :p

also if anyone has any links for good tuts on it that would be sweet, but not if i have to pay, because i think i could handle learning it on my own, tut's would just be more for learning diff. techniques... do i sound cheap in saying that?

ANYWAYS, it's like 4 somthing in the am and i have no idea why im awake, so that's all for now, just another call for help from good ol' Acid44 user added image

user added image

# 2 18-12-2008 , 04:41 AM
hmm, Its much better to go from your own work. You have a wacom yeh?

You dont need much in the way of a decent sketch to do a painting, you can design as you go as long as you think about what your after.

Composition first, then i go for mood / lighting rough get my base pallete in and you can kinda carve away from a rough form.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 18-12-2008 , 08:56 AM
Acid44
i don't have a tablet at all, i'm hoping for christmas i have enough after getting aguitar and a gasmask (don't ask :p) to get one of those cheap wacom tablets, the bamboo fun or w/e

as for using my own work... once i get all the equipment i had before i'll be able to but right now i have nothing beecause of evil ex gf user added image so that's why i'm asking if anyone has anything i could muck up :p

# 4 18-12-2008 , 01:51 PM
Subscriber
gasmask? i'll assume you're protecting yourself from yourself

sucks that your ex took your stuff... not even married and she already claims your things :p

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 18-12-2008 , 04:34 PM
Acid44
hahaha no, it's to please the singer in my band, he says we all need something that makes us... us, ya know? so since i used to wear a gasmask literally from when i woke up to when i went to sleep (even in school) i chose that :p

my ex took more than that, but i won't get into details >_< it's not like we just broke up or anything, we actually broke up in january, but im just starting to realise how much she took and how important some of it was to me user added image

# 6 18-12-2008 , 09:55 PM
Dont bother doing digital painting until you get a wacom to be honest mate.

# 7 19-12-2008 , 06:33 AM
Acid44
using a mouse for it isn't too bad, it just takes a shitload more patience and time :p

so far im not doing too bad with a mouse, or at least i dont think im doing tooo bad with a mouse :p

random sketch off of google + my (non)skills =
user added image

# 8 19-12-2008 , 08:18 AM
Subscriber
at least you were able to colour within the lines (despite the occassional crossing onto the line) :p

it looks good so far

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 19-12-2008 , 12:30 PM
Acid44
haha... the occasional colouring through thee lines was because i screwed up and kinda stopped caring, [fail] i accidentally merged the layer with the sketch with the layer containing the red and black firey stuff and then proceeded to go on ahead without noticing till i did realise and by then it was to far back for the undo que...[/fail]

the parts on the edge of the body around the firey stuff was faded on to the body for a light glowy effect, because i was gonna give it a dark backgroundso it would've been as if the fire parts were glowing... it could've been good... if i had a brain :p

# 10 19-12-2008 , 09:03 PM
Have you been taught how to paint in your studies before, you definitely need a wacom to do anything substancial. You will never look back.

# 11 20-12-2008 , 06:09 AM
Acid44
nah, i haven't even taken any extra art classes other than the one extra credit from it in high school.... not much learned there...

man, are you sure you dont work for wacom? you're like a walking advertisement :p

like i said though, if i have enough from my christmas and birthday money after a new guitarill be getting one, if i dont have enough from that then the next time i work ill be getting one for sure

user added image

# 12 20-12-2008 , 06:56 AM
Use one then you will understad the joy ! user added image

# 13 20-12-2008 , 08:11 AM
Acid44
hahaha

sre you sure? maybe im one of those people better off with a mouse :0

:p

# 14 20-12-2008 , 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Wacom tablets are pretty damn sweet <3 I remember one birthday some years back I got my graphite and got a hold of Photoshop (aah good times, good times) Upgraded to an Intuos recently and I gotta say, I'm lovin it. Tried Painter with it too, great program, great blending tools, cannot stomach the brush creation process though. One thing that definitely rubs me the wrong way with Photoshop is when you undo, it also affects the layer selection so now you're painting skin on a background layer aah wtf>< Can't go wrong getting a decent tablet thoughuser added image

- Genny
# 15 20-12-2008 , 09:56 PM
Drawing with a mouse is just.... rediculous tbh, you cant get nice strokes and its clumsey at best. I doubt anybody at any professional level uses a mouse to paint, its like painting with a hammer.