Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-11-2003 , 07:05 PM
Subscriber

Graphics card recommendations???

OK, I'm speccing out my new machine... to be ordered soon.

My spec so far includes a P4/3.2GHz + 2Gb RAM but now I come to the real critical issue.... the graphics card! In the running right now are the following cards:

ATI Fire GL-X1 (128Mb)
ATI Fire BL-X1 (256Mb)
ATI Fire GL-Z1 (128Mb)
NVIDIA Quadro 4 980XGL (128Mb)

As I will be using this PC primarily for Maya, I have selected cards that are 100% qualified for Maya.

Now the question is... which one do I buy? Any ideas?

Last edited by rich; 26-11-2003 at 07:08 PM.
# 2 27-11-2003 , 03:00 AM
2GB RAM is unnecessary, I would max it at 1.5 if anything. Save yourself a little money. If you want more power, then go dual pentiums.

Of course the more video power the better, so if it's within your budget to even be looking at those cards, being an ATI user myself, then I would recommend the ATI FireGL X2-256. Those are some pricey cards though.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 27-11-2003 , 09:15 AM
Subscriber
My basic rule of thumb with memory is that, as long as the processor can address it, you can never have too much. 32bit processors can address 2GB of signed memory, so that's what I'll buy... the price differential is not so great anyway.

As for the GFX card, I looked around and have found that I can get my hands on a ATI FireGL X2-256 I'll have to stretch my budget a little user added image. Also, I'll have to get it while in the UK over Christmas as it seems that it's practically impossible to find in France (I just wish I could have brought Best Buy with me when I moved back to Europe!).

I did consider dual CPU and was tempted to go with a dual Xeon. In the end I decided that it wasnt worth it beacuase I have a full time job and if I need a big rendering job done, I can set it off in the morning before I leave for work. Anyhoo... looking at the tests on Highend3D, it seems as though a well spec'd P4 machine can do almost as well as most dualies out there.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 4 30-11-2003 , 05:18 PM

# 5 30-11-2003 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Huxley
My basic rule of thumb with memory is that, as long as the processor can address it, you can never have too much.

So my 64Bit Opterons can have what? :p user added image

actually I think 16Terrabytes of Memory is the max...

-Emo

# 6 30-11-2003 , 09:49 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Emo
So my 64Bit Opterons can have what? :p user added image

actually I think 16Terrabytes of Memory is the max...

-Emo

Your number is way too low. I'd say around 8,589,934 Terabytes (unsigned). Thats 8,590 Petabytes
or 8.6 Exabytes.

At todays cost $400 per gig, you'd be looking at: $3.4 trillion Dollars.

Of course, the motherboard would be so large that you'd probably run into performance issues as your CPU would have to wait for a byte to arrive from a component located 10 miles away.

# 7 30-11-2003 , 09:55 PM
Subscriber
Whoa... buddy... dont scare me... user added image

-Emo

# 8 06-12-2003 , 04:46 AM
go to===>> [H]ard|OCP
a nice overclocking website... that's what they do,.. Overclock stuff... :p