SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Dynamics & Special Effects / Cloud Particles doesn't work?

Dynamics & Special Effects Maya Particles, nDynamics, Fluids, Rigid Bodies & General VFX

Join the conversation. Reply to post

05-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
Darkmot

Cloud Particles doesn't work?
Hey guys,

I was trying to learn Dynamics, and doing Maya Getting Started lesson on Dynamics, in which creating a fountain particles with color. After completing lesson 1, I want to experiment with it. I tried to change Render Attributes -> Particle Render Type from Streak to Cloud, and it got like this in perspective view:

But when I tried to render it, whether by mental ray or software, it became like this:

- The sequence (120 frames) rendered weirdly. It's like twice particles, the first sequence particles died like with lifespan of 1, then begin again curving like that.
- The particles move like the streak particles (like in the lesson). But if that's so, why in the perspective view they move upward like that?
- The colors are missing. If the color ramp cannot be translated to cloud particles, then how can I change the color from blue like that?

PS: I know that maya hardware cannot render the cloud (and blobby sruface and tube), but why is that? I tried to google the reason and cannot find satisfactory answer.

Edit: forgot to tell, I didn't change anything, except changing particle render type to cloud. Everything else are the same. Oh and the first image was happening when I select the particle1 (in the outliner). But when I select volumeAxisField2 (the torus object), it became like this:

Amusing, but also confuse me as hell. Why is that? No attribute was changed, just select different object and the particles behave differently? Is there any knowledge that I miss?

Thanks

Last edited by Darkmot; 05-07-2012 at 05:56 AM.
05-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
daverave
The thin red line

When you select cloud this then uses the cloudparticeShader thats the defauld one in your hypershade, you need to assign a new partical shader and not use the default (right click on the particals then go down to assign new meterial "partical cloud".........dave