Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-07-2006 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber

Maya 7 PLE and Motionbuilder 7 PLE

Did you guys know the two are integrated? you can export from maya to motionbuilder and viceversa. It's pretty cool. I"ve been messing around with motionbuilder a bit.

# 2 24-07-2006 , 02:51 AM
maya is already a great animating s/w right? so.. how can motion builder exactly enhance ur animation works?

~The Computer Is A Moron~
# 3 24-07-2006 , 03:11 AM
Subscriber
motionbuilder is real-time animation...with maya it slows down a lot when it has to calculate each keyframe, geometry, and everything else...motionbuilder is so smooth, it's amazing...aaaaaaaaaand...you can keyframe on layers to make things easier...i've been checking out a few of the features and they're really cool...it's also got full body IK, which i thing maya 7 has in some capacity, but i'm not sure...it's at least worth looking into as you can simulate a real production pipeline

plus...maya isnt just for animation while motionbuilder is...which means it's much more robust than maya when it comes to animation

# 4 24-07-2006 , 07:10 AM
lol
:attn:

# 5 24-07-2006 , 10:20 AM
can i export my works from maya unlimited to motionbuilder PLE cause i wanna try that one out lol. I already uninstalled maya PLE a month ago cause i bought unlimited lol and so i dont have my PLE works nemore

user added image

# 6 24-07-2006 , 11:51 AM
Senior Software Developer
Yes,

I belive you can, but again you are restricted with what you can do as its a non commercial licence.

Go the the Alias website and sign up for Bronze Membership, they have great tutes and bronze membership is free and they cover exporting from Maya to Motionbuilder. This is done by the FBX convertor. I think there is one available for Maya 7 PLE

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 24-07-2006 , 04:37 PM
Subscriber
go to 3dBuzz.com too...they have free video tutorials for Motionbuilder...covers importing/exporting to and from Maya, keyframing on layers, characterizing, user interface and customization, etc...good tutorials.

# 8 24-07-2006 , 04:39 PM
Subscriber
it should be noted, however...you can import maya files into the PLE...but you can only export the maya 7 PLE file format...you can reread it in your Maya if it's not PLE. But you can keyframe and render animations on in Motionbuilder.

# 9 25-07-2006 , 01:52 AM

Originally posted by errethakbe
it should be noted, however...you can import maya files into the PLE...but you can only export the maya 7 PLE file format...you can reread it in your Maya if it's not PLE. But you can keyframe and render animations on in Motionbuilder.

lol sa i can't try out motionbuilder since i'm not using PLE... and isn't it illegal to transfer files from Unlimited to PLE or vice versa? user added image

# 10 25-07-2006 , 02:14 AM
Subscriber
no, you can use it.
you can't export back to the full version, however. you can import the full version file format.
So you can export to motionbuilder PLE from your maya, you just cant export back to your version of maya. Only the PLE maya.