Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 15-01-2008 , 06:53 PM
Jr.Who

Something I found funny

I was looking through the Maxwell Render manual a while ago and at the start it has the install instructions. Just a quick look made me smirk. user added image

installation:

Windows:
Run the installation file (maxwell.exe) and follow the installation procedure. The Maxwell
executable files will be added to the system path. A user environment variable named
Maxwell_RooT pointing to the installation folder will be added. if this variable doesn’t exist
or is not created properly, the application will fail.

Mac os x:
Unstuff the installation package and drag & drop the contents into the applications folder.

linux:
installing tar.gz. Copy maxwell64-1.6.linux64.tar.gz to /opt and uncompress and untar the package.
Type both gzip -d maxwell64-1.6.linux64.tar.gz and tar xvf maxwell64-1.6.linux64.tar
Create a user environment variable named Maxwell_RooT that points to the Maxwell
installation folder. depending on your shell, the procedure may differ slightly. for example, in
Bash shell use:
export MAXWELL_ROOT=”/opt/maxwell64”
export PATH=”/opt/maxwell64/:$PATH”
in csh shell:
setenv MAXWELL_ROOT ”/opt/maxwell64”
setenv PATH ”/opt/maxwell64:$PATH”

Which looks more appealing?

# 2 15-01-2008 , 07:01 PM
Lifetime Member
windows, click on the .exe and you are done .
Mac is no different to pc except more expensive.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 15-01-2008 , 11:35 PM
i have to agree to JSprogg

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 15-01-2008 , 11:43 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by jsprogg
windows, click on the .exe and you are done .

A Windows automatic installer?! So innovative! The part I love the most is at the end where it says it will fail. :lmao:

# 5 16-01-2008 , 12:19 AM
it says it will fail if for some reason the application malfunctions. it doesn't say it WILL fail.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 6 16-01-2008 , 04:03 AM
Agreed John,

If you want to have a laugh have a look at motionbuilders MAC controls its like mouse click + apple + alt + F to move the camera, inovation!!! It must be good practice if your a piano player.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 16-01-2008 , 06:47 AM
The Linux one looks appealing... typing arcane commands into bash makes me feel like I'm searching the garbage file of a Gibson user added image (obscure movie reference)

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 8 16-01-2008 , 08:16 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Agreed John,

If you want to have a laugh have a look at motionbuilders MAC controls its like mouse click + apple + alt + F to move the camera, inovation!!! It must be good practice if your a piano player.

And that would be Apple's fault?

# 9 16-01-2008 , 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
And that would be Apple's fault?

Due to the inovation of the single button mouse, bit of a pain if your using a laptop!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 16-01-2008 , 09:38 AM
Lifetime Member
Also I am not over fond of the command key, why can't they just use Ctrl like a normal OS?
Or is it just a self promotion gimmick I wonder.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 11 16-01-2008 , 10:17 AM
When I build my own brand of incompatible computer, I shall rename the control key to the overlord key user added image

I for one bow before our new overlords! :bow:

The graphic on the key shall resember the user bowing before the machine overlord...

# 12 16-01-2008 , 10:18 AM
When I build my own brand of incompatible computer, I shall rename the control key to the overlord key user added image

I for one bow before our new overlords! :bow:

The graphic on the key shall be a stylish minimalist representation of the user bowing before the machine overlord...

# 13 16-01-2008 , 11:28 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by jsprogg
Also I am not over fond of the command key, why can't they just use Ctrl like a normal OS?
Or is it just a self promotion gimmick I wonder.

It's pretty much the equivalent of the control key on a PC, yet we have both the command and control keys. Command is usually what you would use to execute a command (shortcut) and control is used for a couple other things, one of them being the ability to right-click by holding control and left clicking.

# 14 21-01-2008 , 02:29 PM
just saw the hackers reference... i just watched that movie yesterday after work!

HACK THE PLANET!! user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 15 21-01-2008 , 02:36 PM
HACK THE PLANET!! user added image

Too bad I lost the Hackers tape a while back... must get DVD one day! user added image