Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-05-2009 , 11:28 PM

Crash lost scene data?

Hi. Maya 8.5 on Precision 690, OS: XP Pro, 4 gig RAM

I have been working on a scene and saving it frequently. The scene just crashed and when I restarted Maya and opened the scene there is a great deal of data missing from the last save. Unfortunately, I hadn't yet backed up the more recently saved version of the scene to my external back up drive.

what's missing are several poly meshes, a folder and all it's contents as well as the shader I had been using.

Is there any way to recover this data? Is it hidden somewhere?

T

# 2 13-05-2009 , 03:21 AM
First unless you have a 64-bit version of XP you will not see more then 2GB of that 4GB of memory. With the /3GB switch you might get 2.5+ GB (If your computer is running down hill with the wind at its back).

Second, maya crashes (as far as I know) do not save any associated folders and really should not cause any folders to go missing.

Sometimes maya will attempt to save a copy of the scene file in Documents and Setting\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Temp. Look for *.mb or *.ma.

But this is the extent of it. I don't believe it will make any effort to backup folders with content being used. This sounds more like a hard drive failure than something a maya crash would cause.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 13-05-2009 , 03:45 AM
thank you. It is strange. I can't find any other evidence of any problems with any other file, folder or program, including other Maya scenes I had in my hard drive.

Maya is working fine except for that one incident.

Waiting for Windows 7 this December before I go through the hassle of installing the new OS.

T

# 4 13-05-2009 , 08:32 AM
No problem sorry you lost your data. I know how heart wrenching that can be. I recently had a drive in my two drive project stripe go bad and lost pretty much everything I have done in Maya for the last 3 years.

I find bits and pieces of stuff I had tucked away on usb sticks and stuff but pretty much have lost 90% of my work.

I will NEVER stripe drives again unless they are mirrored.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 13-05-2009 , 04:26 PM
That's really horrific!! What a terrible loss.

Computer art is a wonderful medium but there's also a whole dimension of vulnerability to that art that really can be catastrophic.

I print CD ROMs of anything I create, but only once it's completed, just as an extra back up. One can't be careful enough.

Thanks for your help.

best, T