Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 24-01-2010 , 04:48 AM
Subscriber

Maya placement tool

In 3DS Max there is a plugin or script called Paint Hair Floater (Placement Tool) that allows you to select a piece of geometry and then use a target icon to place that geo all over your model (aka rivet or screw shapes). So, you have to select your rivet or screw geo and then all you have to do is click on your model and your selected geo gets placed.

My question is does Maya have a MEL script that does the same thing or something similar?

# 2 24-01-2010 , 09:09 PM
hmm...im not expert in mel, but this sounds pretty straight forward,if the model is placed on the faces or at the vertices of the target mesh.

i dont think u will find this kind of simple script so easily.Some might have made it, but this is too simple to publish.

# 3 24-01-2010 , 10:49 PM
Subscriber
Not sure what its called but if you download the bonus tools from Autodesk's webby there is a tool that does just that.

Chris

# 4 24-01-2010 , 11:39 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 25-01-2010 , 03:14 AM
Subscriber
Thanks a bunch guys.

Nextdesign, that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot for helping me out. user added image

# 6 25-01-2010 , 05:29 AM
Subscriber

# 7 11-09-2014 , 06:57 AM

In 3DS Max there is a plugin or script called Paint Hair Floater (Placement Tool) that allows you to select a piece of geometry and then use a target icon to place that geo all over your model (aka rivet or screw shapes). So, you have to select your rivet or screw geo and then all you have to do is click on your model and your selected geo gets placed.

My question is does Maya have a MEL script that does the same thing or something similar?

Hello I am a Chinese. My English is not good.I see in the tutorial(In 3DS Max there is a plugin or script called Paint Hair Floater (Placement Tool))I am looking for a long time.But China not found.so I try so hard to find .If you see.Can you give me a copy?I will thank you very much.Please

# 8 05-03-2021 , 02:09 AM

Placement Tool

Hello there!

I have the script and I also found that in the Maya folders in the script folder on the other folder is the geometry-paintuser added imageuser added imageuser added image script that your talking about, but in my case it is not working at all. I don't know what is wrong, I'm using Maya 2020.4 It should work because it came with the software as part of the scripts.