Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-03-2012 , 08:34 PM

Bridge two cylinders in a certain way.

Hello everyone,

does anyone know how to bridge 2 cylinders, so it will look something like this glass table from final fantasy 8?

Or some other technique besides bridging?

If possible as newbfriendly as you can get user added image

I am pretty new to maya and i wanted to start learning it by recreating a familiar scene, because if i dont have a definite goal to reach, it will never happen for me. And this scene is what i chose, so i would be glad if you can help me to finish it.

Best regards.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-03-2012 , 09:00 PM
EduSciVis-er
It's a bit hard to see in the image, but can't you just create separate pieces for the tabletop and shelf bit?

# 3 19-03-2012 , 09:19 PM

It's a bit hard to see in the image, but can't you just create separate pieces for the tabletop and shelf bit?

Well shure, that is what i first thought. But how do i get such a nice shaped form?

I tried the cv curve tool, but than i thought, there maybe is a automated prozess for exactly that issue.

I think i remember it from math class on how to construct such things, but dont know how to apply that to maya.

Does it basically come back to form that curve for the glass plate by hand?

Last edited by Hermi1988; 19-03-2012 at 09:23 PM.
# 4 19-03-2012 , 09:48 PM
The thin red line
Like you said use the bridge tool create two flat cylinders then bridge the side that was what you wanted...........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 19-03-2012 , 10:05 PM

Like you said use the bridge tool create two flat cylinders then bridge the side that was what you wanted...........dave

I tried that.

It seems to not work for me (red error message).

I created a polygon cylinder, duplicated it, combined it, selected same amount of edges and tried to bridge. What do i do wrong? :o

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 19-03-2012 , 10:09 PM
The thin red line
were are the caps for your cylinders?,Select faces then bridge................dave

# 7 19-03-2012 , 10:11 PM

were are the caps for your cylinders?,Select faces then bridge................dave

I zeroed them. Do i select the faces wich 'look at each other' or the once on top (in top view)?

# 8 19-03-2012 , 10:18 PM
The thin red line
Not a good idear to zero them, the ones facing each other or a bit off set so to get some nice curves have a play with it you can use the curve to control how it looks (go to wire mode to select that)............dave

# 9 19-03-2012 , 10:22 PM

Not a good idear to zero them, the ones facing each other or a bit off set so to get some nice curves have a play with it you can use the curve to control how it looks (go to wire mode to select that)............dave

I'm getting there slowly:

Still there must be something wrong. How exactly to i control the curve?

You basically mean, that I should vary on the faces I select, to get the wanted result?

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 19-03-2012 , 10:31 PM
EduSciVis-er
You're getting there. After you bridge, in the channel box, find the bridge operation and open it up to see the bridge offset; play with that value until they line up. Then add more divisions to the bridge, which you can also do after the fact.

# 11 19-03-2012 , 10:39 PM

You're getting there. After you bridge, in the channel box, find the bridge operation and open it up to see the bridge offset; play with that value until they line up. Then add more divisions to the bridge, which you can also do after the fact.

Well thank you very much user added image

I fiddle around with it a bit. And i'm shure I will post some results another time.

# 12 20-03-2012 , 12:54 PM
So after a few tries I did come up with that.

(Note that on the reference pic, the left column is actually a ellipse, which made the process a little harder)

I guess I'm getting a good starting point now to build that desk. Does anyone see a critical mistake at this state or shall I continue?

EDIT: Oh and can I delete the caps now? In my understanding I don't need them for the wanted model. I basically copy that thing, scale it down, move it down, build again a ellipse and a circle and finish it up. Deleting the caps should save me some faces of the polycount should'nt it?

EDIT2: Hm I guess I reselect the faces again, so the curve is more tangent to the round shapes.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Hermi1988; 20-03-2012 at 01:20 PM.
# 13 20-03-2012 , 01:32 PM
The thin red line
Not sure how you ended up with all those sud divisions on your bridge you dont need all of them, the caps you can redo the edge flow to be all quads but I would not delete them unless it was for a game engine that did not require them...............dave

Last edited by daverave; 20-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.
# 14 20-03-2012 , 06:49 PM
How do I get the 'roundness' of the smooth display (Button 2 or 3 pressed)?

If I smooth the whole model it has tons more polygons than in the smoth display preview. But if I don't smooth at all, then I dont get the bridge nicely formed... user added image

I like to have it like the preview here. So agian, how do I get the same result as pushing 2 on keyboard?

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 20-03-2012 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber

If I smooth the whole model it has tons more polygons than in the smoth display preview.

The preview mode also has tons more polygons - it just doesn't display them. You don't have to smooth it though, cause MR renders the preview mode anyway;

otherwise smooth, or do proxy subdivision and play with the settings, but you'll always end up with more polygons because everything is made of straight lines, so the curve you see is basically a set of many straight lines at various angles.