Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 04-06-2015 , 12:05 PM

More Precise or Automatic UV Mapping Method?

I am trying to map a texture onto minecraft characters, so it isn't anything that advanced. I haven't been doing UV mapping in Maya for that long so I don't know the tools and capabilities very well. What I am doing is creating polygon primitive cubes, scaling them to the correct size, applying my material (which is a minecraft character skin) then selecting the faces one by one (eg. the front face) and doing Create UVs-->Planar Mapping then resizing and moving the ?UV shell? to match the correct face. This is very time consuming and isn't perfect either.

I have tried UV mapping minecraft characters in Cinema 4D using a different method and it is more than 3 times faster. Basically I select the face I want to map the texture on, go to my UV texture editor, divide the width pixels I want it to be by the width pixels of the actual image, which is 64px (I do the same with the height pixels eg. if I wanted to map a texture on an object 8px wide and 12px high I would make the scale 8/64 for X and 12/32 for Y). I then set my snapping to 3.125 and move it into place. Not only is it faster, it is perfectly lined up.

Is there a way to do this or something similar to this in Maya? Please watch this video where I map the texture onto a Torso in both programs if you need more information on speed and method. (it is sped up 10x).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeQr...ature=youtu.be

Thanks in advance user added image