Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-08-2008 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber

what i think of vista so far

LAME PIECE IF POO :angery: :headbang:

i got my friend to build me new computer, and i stuck vista business on it since xp is unstable as a 64bit OS

so i am forced to use vista unless i want to use a 32bit OS, which i dont want to

keep in mind that when i'm working my brain is doing things fast, and if what i'm using isn't keeping up i get annoyed and antagonistic

ok, first point of lameness... the welcome window... when you first install vista you can't untick 'dont f*cking show this s*it again bitch', you can only do it on the second restart...

ok, yeah, it's nothing major, but its just stupid

next point of lameness that stupid god-damn aweful workflow-interrupting popup window that asks if you want to do what you're doing....
yeah, ok, it's another minor thing, since you can also turn that off too... once you find out where to turn it off after 30 minutes of looking

next.... one of the most irritating things ever.... you can't just right click on something and go "open with..." and select from a sub menu that comes out from the context menu
you actually have to click "open with..." and then figure out what the hell it's saying and then click the program you want to do it with.
it takes WAY too long

next... drag and drop files that have the same name... omg... what happened to good ol' simple easy to read in less than a second dialogue that asked if you want to replace the file with the new one?? now it's been taken over by this monstrosity that you actually have to read for more than a second... again this takes FAR too long. (yes, 1 second is like 1 second and 3 seconds is like 3 minutes when i'm doing these things)

next... another time waster.... alt+ctrl+del, instead of the task manager just poping up automatically (or after 3 minutes as it usually does) you get this new full sized screen that asks if you want to log off, restart, turn off the computer, and if you haven't fallen asleep from reading the long list you will get to the option you want... the task manager....
alternatively you can just right click the task bar and access the task manager from there... but still, it takes alot longer than just hitting three keys simultaneously

next... yet another time waster... the command prompt
unlike xp you can't just open it anywhere after installing the powertoy... oh no, not with vista.. you have to do this a REALLY long way... you actually have to go up one level and then you have to hold down SHIFT and then you right click the folder you want the command prompt to start from and then click back into the folder...
i'm SO glad my mouse has 5 buttons or this would take longer with more buttons to click
yes... so back to the actual problem... you have to click more than two times to do this... you have to click back (and if you have a 3 button mouse you actually have to hit alt+left or move you mouse and click) then you have to GET YOUR SECOND HAND (totally inappropriate for something so simple) and hold down shift and also find the folder, and then hit the right mouse button and click "open command prompt here" and then click back into the folder so you remember what the files are called.
5 button clicks plus lots of mouse movement and possible scrolling is a poo load longer than 2 button clicks and a mouse move

oh yeah, and one more minor thing... the desktop icons are HUGE.... you can change their size though, and what's up with that random functionless gadget on the side that just plays through random thumbnails of pictures...? most useless thing in vista....and totally pointless

on the plus side it does look a little better.

</end rant>

have a nice day user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 2 24-08-2008 , 08:26 AM
Subscriber
wow... that is one long rant..... user added image

oh yeah, and the postit-note-like-thing gadget is cool
that can potentially be handy

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX

Last edited by Chirone; 24-08-2008 at 08:30 AM.
# 3 24-08-2008 , 08:53 AM
I have to agree with you. The few times i worked with it was disaster.
2 Years ago I started using mac. Works a lot better user added image

Good luck with your system.user added image

# 4 24-08-2008 , 10:17 AM
You know those Microsoft commercials where people, upon their first taste of Vista, say, "Wow!" and look like that they have been enlightened by absorbing the collective wisdom of 10,000 wise souls?*

I think that didn't happen here :p

My fav. is this:

"next... another time waster.... alt+ctrl+del, instead of the task manager just poping up automatically (or after 3 minutes as it usually does) you get this new full sized screen that asks if you want to log off, restart, turn off the computer, and if you haven't fallen asleep from reading the long list you will get to the option you want... the task manager.... alternatively you can just right click the task bar and access the task manager from there... but still, it takes alot longer than just hitting three keys simultaneously"

LOL!

In Windows you need to hit three keys (alt+ctrl+del) to get the task manager. In KDE on Linux, its two keys, ctl+esc. The keys are closer to each other than ctl+alt+del and do not require both hands in order to press. Plus they are both on the left side of the keyboard, so most users will find it easy to access as the right hand is usually on the mouse.

And since its Linux, you can also customize which key(s) you want to open the task manager with.

Linux preaching aside, you would expect that Microsoft would make simple basic essential features such as the task manager easily assesable, considering that this is Windows and you need to use it often (used it twice today myself, DirectX went bonkers and needed the game to be end-tasked cause it froze). user added image

Anyways, I hope that your new system is better than your old one, despite some annoyances user added image

* Guess which myth this came from! user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 5 24-08-2008 , 02:13 PM
Acid44

Re: what i think of vista so far

Originally posted by Chirone
when you first install vista you can't untick 'dont f*cking show this s*it again bitch'

LOL

sounds from yours and other experiences like i'm stickin with xp for a while...

# 6 24-08-2008 , 03:03 PM
Wow.

No offense Chirone, but it sounds to me like your "friend" ripped you off. hehe..

Almost EVERY single issue you are having problems with could/should have been dealt with during/after install very easily.....just like any other OSuser added image

Also, as for what we do, the stripped-down version of Vista 64bit Ultimate is the way to go.
..not sure why you went with the "business" version.
Was this your friends recommendation?

Anyhoo, here is a post on this subject I did 3 months ago regarding my great experiences with Vista for my new rigs:

I would check out my attached txt "rant" at the bottom of that post first:
https://forum.simplymaya.com/attachme...&postid=266508

Then here is the post itself:
https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...508#post266508

Again, I mean no disrespect, but really, those headaches you had, or are having, simply boil down to the technician not having enough experience configuring your machine for the intended use, and the way the user is comfortable using it.

Once he fixes/reconfigures it for you the way you want to work, (i.e. like me, fast and bulletproof), then you will not have any issuesuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 24-08-2008 , 03:06 PM
Geez, give it some time. I use vista, and have YET to have a real problem with it.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 8 24-08-2008 , 04:22 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by Joopson
Geez, give it some time. I use vista, and have YET to have a real problem with it.

You are the worst liar, Andy.

# 9 24-08-2008 , 08:30 PM
Haha, Jerk

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 10 24-08-2008 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ragecgi
Almost EVERY single issue you are having problems with could/should have been dealt with during/after install very easily.....just like any other OSuser added image

Also, as for what we do, the stripped-down version of Vista 64bit Ultimate is the way to go.
..not sure why you went with the "business" version.
Was this your friends recommendation?

Again, I mean no disrespect, but really, those headaches you had, or are having, simply boil down to the technician not having enough experience configuring your machine for the intended use, and the way the user is comfortable using it.

Once he fixes/reconfigures it for you the way you want to work, (i.e. like me, fast and bulletproof), then you will not have any issuesuser added image

haha, Izzy it was me who installed vista :p
my friend just put the pieces together

i'm only using business cuz it was the one i could get free from the academic alliance (i can get it in japanese if i wanted to)

i will check out your links once i'm home

thanks for the help though. user added image

and Andy, i get impatient REALLY fast when working on the computer... unless i'm waiting for something to load, or copy over, or anything that you're meant to wait for.

# 11 25-08-2008 , 07:56 AM

haha, Izzy it was me who installed vista :p
my friend just put the pieces together
i'm only using business cuz it was the one i could get free from the academic alliance (i can get it in japanese if i wanted to)
i will check out your links once i'm home
thanks for the help though. user added image

Cool. No problemuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 12 25-08-2008 , 02:14 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by The Architect
Linux preaching aside, you would expect that Microsoft would make simple basic essential features such as the task manager easily assesable, considering that this is Windows and you need to use it often (used it twice today myself, DirectX went bonkers and needed the game to be end-tasked cause it froze). user added image

* Guess which myth this came from! user added image

meant to comment on this earlier

sometimes the task manager stops responding in XP :p
and i can hit alt+ctrl+del with just one hand, but potentially hitting other keys at the same time :p

and no idea where the myth came from. do tell user added image

# 13 26-08-2008 , 01:20 AM

meant to comment on this earlier

sometimes the task manager stops responding in XP :p
and i can hit alt+ctrl+del with just one hand, but potentially hitting other keys at the same time :p

and no idea where the myth came from. do tell user added image

I went on MSN and asked my mates how they hit ctrl-alt-del and they said with with their right hand with the ctrl-alt keys that are on the keyboards right and I was like wow... why didn't I think to that? :blush:

Its still weird though, you've got to make your hand and fingers into this scary shape... user added image

Anyways, the myth is the Japanese myth of Hōrai. Here is an article from Wikipedia about it: Link.

user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!