Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 06-01-2012 , 01:17 PM

strange shadow problem

Hi!

Im working on a school project and one of my models get really weird shadows.

I have proper lightmaps and all the normals are okay.

any idea what the problem might be?

user added imagehttps://imageshack.us/f/521/41145493.jpg/

# 2 06-01-2012 , 02:06 PM
The thin red line
Ive not done this before so not sure how you created your maps but could it be you did not given the model enought UV space?.................dave

# 3 06-01-2012 , 03:04 PM
everything is withing the 0,1 space.

should i expand the uvs further ? i have heard from my teachers that the lightmap needs to be within the 0,1 to work properly.

# 4 06-01-2012 , 03:12 PM
The thin red line
Could you show the shadow map and UVs.............dave

# 5 06-01-2012 , 04:09 PM
From your screenshot, it looks like the left side is a solid wall and the light is shining through instead of casting a shadow right? So the only shadow I see is from the left front edge. If that's the case, then I think you should check your normals. It looks as though the normals on one of the faces of that side wall is facing the wrong way which would definitely cause that.

That's all I can think of right now that might cause that.

Edit: Attached a screenshot. The left wall has the left face normal reversed which is allowing light to pass through the wall. However, it's pretty obvious because if you were to look at that left wall from the left side, it would look invisible. I don't know anything about lightmaps so as was already mentioned, might want to double check to make sure no part of the light uv is outside the 0,1 space.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 06-01-2012 at 04:23 PM.
# 6 06-01-2012 , 06:24 PM
The thin red line

# 7 06-01-2012 , 08:14 PM
thanks, i will see if i get any results!

# 8 07-01-2012 , 08:12 PM

Perfecto light maps are usefull in the stuff you are doing see link..........dave

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/899...Maya-(tutorial)

Thanks dave, I'll check it out. I do currently get a TON of error messages in udk complaining about me not having lightmaps lol. Right now I'm spending several days doing nothing but watching tutorials on texturing, lighting and optimization. Trying to find and learn everything I can.

Btw Sushifish, did you ever get the shadow issue resolved?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!