Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 21-01-2008 , 09:02 PM

Dissapearing paint job.

Hi, Could any one please help me. I'm sure there is a simple soloution to this.

I have assigned materials and painted my model Penguin. The problem is that when I either delete unused nodes or try to save the scene the paint job dissapears from the body. The eyes and hair are fine. I just don't know what to do. I have painted the penguin around 6 times now.

Please help if you can!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-01-2008 , 09:03 PM
He should be like this (well kind of.... I lost a little love on the paint job!!)

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 21-01-2008 , 09:04 PM
How are you painting the model - do you mean applying a texture, or are you painting it in maya?

# 4 21-01-2008 , 09:06 PM
I'm painting it in MAYA Texturing- 3D paint tool

# 5 21-01-2008 , 09:11 PM
hello,

That's your problem - I've never used it but I'm pretty sure you'll have to save that separately from the scene.

Have a search in the help files about saving painted textures (search for paint & save for example), or perhaps another user here will be able to advise.

Think you're only missing something simple shouldn't take a lot to fix,

gubar

# 6 21-01-2008 , 09:16 PM
Thank you... I'll have a look
Really appreciate the advice.

Jo

# 7 21-01-2008 , 09:19 PM
No probs, post back how you get on.

gubar

# 8 21-01-2008 , 09:27 PM
Senior Software Developer
Gubar is right, If you are texturing a model all 3d paint effects have to be saved out. Have you tried baking it?

TBH its not a recommended way to deal with this. I would UV Map the penguin and the texture it outside of Maya in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or a nice free app like GIMP. Once thats done apply the texture to a shader and apply that to the model.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 9 21-01-2008 , 09:51 PM
Ahh ok.... I have to save the image out, (This is in the text in the course book but not as an action.) I have it in Photoshop now but have no idea how to save it out. iIt must be simple!? Would you mind pointing me in the right direction user added image

Jo

# 10 21-01-2008 , 10:06 PM
If you go into the hypershade and then select the material that youve painted then goto edit->convert file to texture and then select the option box, you can set up what you want to bake out (colours, shadows, resolution etc)

What I would actually suggest you do is UV map your penguin as the image you make might make no sense when you open it up in photoshop (as the UV's are the 3d points unfolded or flattened like asheet of paper)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 11 21-01-2008 , 11:17 PM
Well, it wouldnt let me convert the file to texture.
I'm not really sure what I've done but it seems to be staying now I played around with the hypershade and the attribute editor. I don't think it was in the tabs of the attribute editor before when I selected the body but Maybe I have managed to join them as its there now.

The course shows that you should refine the paint job in 2D in photoshop and then save it out but still dont know how to do that!! I'm quite happy that at least the basic paint job has stuck! I hope I'm not getting myself in a pickle!!
Thank you for your advice. Im trying to keep up!!

Jo

# 12 21-01-2008 , 11:25 PM
Before you create a texture in photoshop, you'll need to learn how to layout UVs. Once you've got them laid out suitably, you'll export an image of them, and use this as a guide to paint in photoshop.

cheers,

gubar

# 13 21-01-2008 , 11:50 PM
Hmm, yes I've done that bit.. In the end I couldn't use the image I did in photoshop as I wasn't sure what the book meant by save the image out?

# 14 22-01-2008 , 12:16 AM
Actually... Im totally wrong.. He just lost his skin again. If someone could just tell me how to save out in photoshop i think all will be well again in my world!! :headbang:

# 15 22-01-2008 , 12:33 AM
If you have it open in photoshop, just save it in the format of your choice (some recommend .tiff or .targa). Then apply it to the colour node of your material (click the chequered box next to colour, choose file, navigate to where you've saved your image).

Try that and see how it goes,

gubar