Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 20-03-2008 , 09:56 AM
Subscriber

Zbrush Displacement to Maya Problems

Hi All,

Now I've been racking my brain to try and figure this out and it I've tried everything that I know, but it's not working properly. So, I decided the last resort was to post here and maybe someone could help me figure out what is going wrong.

I making Yoda's head from Star Wars, more like the Yoda of Episode II and Episode III. I built a low-poly mesh for his head in Maya, smoothed it out and exported the .obj to Zbrush. Here is the wireframe of the Maya head.
user added image

This is what the Zbrush, level 5 final head looks like.
user added image
I added the ridges and added some skin-like features. For now, I'm happy with the way he looks. So I put the subdivision level back to 1, switch back to my morph target and hit create displacement map with Adaptive. It creates it and then I export it as a .tif and here is what I get.
user added image
To me, it looks fine. I brought it into photoshop and flipped it vertically to make sure the map gets applied correctly.

Back in Maya, I want to render it out with Mental Ray. I changed the attribute properties to Spatial, etc. I also unchecked feature displacement for the mesh. I created a blinn with a dsiplacement map and used the file shown above. I also changed one of the values to -0.5 (the correct one). I then tried to render out with Mental Ray and got this
user added image

Can anybody help me as to why this isn't working properly? Why am I not getting the wrinkles, the head grooves, etc.? Is there just a setting? Any help is greatly appreciated!

-MiKe

# 2 20-03-2008 , 06:19 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hmm create yoda you have, hmmm?
looks good.
First of all you should use the blur
_smudge tool to get rid off that black and white ridges and maybe fiddle with the contrast value.
I also remembered that the guy from the tutorial converted his image to greyscale, and i got the same errors so i let it stay at 8 bit rgb imageand it worked just fine. you could also adjust the values to -1 and 2 to bring out more maybe that helps other than that i cannot help you, sorry