Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-03-2003 , 08:17 PM

Standard SubD Texturing Workflow?

I thought I would post this question so we all may learn from it, instead of just bothering a few specific people... hehe..

Million Dollar QUESTION:

What is, (or is there) your "Standard SubD Texturing Workflow"?

A N Y hints (preferably step-by-step how you've gotten it to work in the past) would be MOST helpfull.

Nothing big needed, I would just hate to find out that in the end, I gotta convert everything to polys, thus defeating the Subd purpose... or am I wrong?

I'm fully aware that Subd's sometimes NEED to be converted to polys, and I am prepared to do that, many times if neededuser added image No prob.

I've done some research, and the best tips I've EVER seen regarding a Maya SubD texturing workflow are ON THIS SITE!! LOL! Jim posted his workflow a while back, but I'm not sure if it works in 4.5 or not....

Here is Jim's past post:
https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&threadid=2371

Sorry folks, I just wanted to know if my modeling was in vain...
I'm Not REMOTELY done yet, but I just wanna know a workflow now, before I continue, and possibly screw things up for myselfuser added image
hehe...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 2 28-03-2003 , 10:08 PM
Well, as you already know UV tools in Maya for SubDs are somewhat limited. Also modeling with SubDs can get slow. This is why I do most of my modeling work in pure polygons. I may start with Nurbs but polys most of the time is my preference. I only convert to SubD just to see how am I doing and if more modeling work must be done, I convert back to polys.

After I'm pleased with the polymesh I map the UVs. UV tools for polygons in Maya are according to some people one of the best in the industry (and I underline this too... especially with danny's uv tools user added image). When you convert the final mapped polymesh to SubD, the UVs gets transferred as well (sub divided of course).

The very last step in my workflow is to add creases, full or partial, if needed. Reason why I do this as the last step is performance. Try making a semi-complex SubD model, add few creases here and there and then try to edit the model for example in poly proxy mode -> sloooow...

Did I get the million dollars? user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 28-03-2003 , 10:42 PM

Cool! ..but a few questions...

um... yeah! hehe... hey Kev! Can you front me a few bucks?? hehe...

Anyhoo, THANKS man!
Yeah, I'm glad I asked this now, as I made the mistake of creasing the CRAP out of my mesh edges FIRST, hehe.. and you're right about it becoming DOG sloooooww.... user added image

I'm at a point where I don't have too much time invested, so I can totally start over without a major project slowdown.
(that way I can also make the mental tweaks I wanted as well) user added image

Ok, here are the QUESTIONS for ya:

1. When I convert to SubD's and the UV's get transfered "sub-divided", what does that mean? and are there any issues that i need to worry about regarding that? pitfalls? etc.

2. If I crease my chosen edges at the last minute, won't that kill my newly transfered uv's? Should I crease my chosen Subd edges JUST before I convert for the final time back to polys for mapping?

3. So, with that stuff said, should this be my workflow:

a. model in poly's and check/tweak using subd.
b. last modeling step, convert to Subd for edge creasing.
c. convert back to polys for mapping.
d. convert back to Subd for lighting and rendering.

Am I missing/confusing some steps?

Also, does anyone else out there care to tell us thier workflow??

Thanks!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 4 28-03-2003 , 10:57 PM
1. I haven't had any major issues with this. Take a look in the UV Texture Editor before and after converting to SubD to see what I mean...

2. Creasing does have some nasty effects on mapping. Kind of hard to explain but for example I had to do some extra partial creasings on the wheel house of my Andrea Gail project just to keep the UVs not stretching. Creasing does not modify the UVs which is kind of odd if you ask me... Anyway at work-in-progress stage I don't do creases at all (I usually know where they will be in the end). I convert back to polys using level 0 vertices.

3. This is what I usually do:
a.0. (optional) start with nurbs
a.1. model in poly's and check and tweak (only level 0 vertices if at all) using subd.
b. map the UVs
c. convert to SubD and add creases for lighting and rendering.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Last edited by kbrown; 28-03-2003 at 11:07 PM.
# 5 28-03-2003 , 11:46 PM
Cool!

Thanks SOOOO much for the help!

I'll be posting my WIP results on Monday morning (my time) after re-modeling and mild texturing this weekenduser added image

Thanks again!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 28-03-2003 , 11:47 PM
Btw K-man, did you want that cash in small, unmarked US bills? or? hehe...

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 29-03-2003 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber
lol
u know you say the scene gets really slow when you add creases and that? is that because of a slow processor? not enough ram? or a slow graphics card?

this is an open question as id like to know for when i build my new computer user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 8 29-03-2003 , 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Nem
lol
u know you say the scene gets really slow when you add creases and that? is that because of a slow processor? not enough ram? or a slow graphics card?

this is an open question as id like to know for when i build my new computer user added image

I have a feeling that it is just Maya's weak point. I'm almost sure there will be quite a few enhancements to SubDs in future releases of Maya. Again, this is just speculation...

rage: hehe... lol... put it on my swiss bank account :p you know the one in all gangster movies user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Last edited by kbrown; 29-03-2003 at 03:45 PM.
# 9 29-03-2003 , 05:42 PM
hehe.. no problem K! hehe...

Yeah, and it might be my machine as well, because I only have a dual P3 (1 gig each) with 1 gig of ram and a crappy vid card, so it might be me, who knowsuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 10 18-04-2003 , 06:31 PM
Again, thanks a BUNCH K!!! Your tips are working like a charm!

I "WILL" have some WIP's up by monday morning, now that my girl has actually told me to "Get your reel done and stop bitching about it!"

hehe.... girls... gotta love 'emuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 11 18-04-2003 , 06:43 PM
Excellent tips K! Thanks for pointing this thread out to me.
I think I´m going after your advise -and Mike´s- about changing NURBS back to Polys.