Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-11-2005 , 05:36 AM
Subscriber

Dunno how to correct the problem with poly to sub conversion!

As i was trying to convert this poly model into sub, the problem occurs. I have encounterd this problem loads of times ( what appears in the Script Editor is sth with "one or more duplicate edges" ).

I have no idea how to deal with those extra edges since the work gets so complicated. Does anyone know how to fix it....Thanks a lot!!!

I am new to Maya, this question may sound stupid but i don't know where to have my problem solved...so Pleassssee!!!

I have the file attached, so check it out!

Attached Files
File Type: mb shelf.mb (63.9 KB, 331 views)

Thank you for giving me a hand!!!
# 2 18-11-2005 , 07:26 AM
Dude... you gotta read the messages the Script Editor puts in there:

Code:
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on  -maxPolyCount 1000  -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |pCube1|pCubeShape1;
// Warning: Nothing is selected. Select objects or components to delete. //
// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): The conversion to a subdivision surface failed.
// One or more duplicated edges were present.
// Repair the duplicate edges by selecting the polygon
// and issuing the following command, then try again:
select .e[167] ;string $v[]  = `polyListComponentConversion -fe -tv`;select $v;polySplitVertex;polyMergeVertex -d 0.0 -tx 1; //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

i tried the command the error message gives me, and now it works...

the command is:

Code:
select .e[167] ;string $v[]  = `polyListComponentConversion -fe -tv`;select $v;polySplitVertex;polyMergeVertex -d 0.0 -tx 1;

# 3 19-11-2005 , 03:19 AM
Subscriber
Thanks then, i was so careless, guess im going to ask questions the smarter way in the future....sorry for bothering!!!!

Btw, i know how to fix the problem by now, yeah just paste the script and it is alright!

Thank you for giving me a hand!!!