Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 61 05-04-2006 , 01:42 PM
thanks for the advice, unfortunately the first idea won't work for me as the shot requires the camera to look down on the bag as the zip opens. I like the second idea though, may have to attempt to incorporate it. I had thought about blendshapes but wasn't sure which would be the better method, blendshapes, clusters or joints.

It sounds like the most controllable for what i need and is relatively straight forward to setup. user added image

# 62 06-04-2006 , 01:58 AM
Subscriber
you could use the first option, just model the bag open and then have the zip move, while the camera then pans up to look into the bag.

well its a third option.

# 63 07-04-2006 , 06:01 PM
yeah thanks tweetytunes, For now though i've decided to worry about that when i get to it and get on with texturing. (Only 7 weeks of the course left user added image)

Here are the floorboards that i've been working on today

user added image
user added image

# 64 07-04-2006 , 06:17 PM
Subscriber
looking at the last image, all floorboards to the left are far apart while all the ones to the right are bunched up any reason for that?
Also the line which it looks like is coming from the texture that runs the opposite way to the floor boards looks really strange.

Just some of my observations user added image

# 65 08-04-2006 , 02:58 PM
the floorboards were actually an equal distance apart but the gap was too large. Therefore i've reduced the gap in the boards. Some lighting tests to show. Texturing and lighting still not finished and i'm beginning to run out of time :headbang: So i'm probably going to start animating on Monday regardless of the progress with the lighting and texturing, figuring that i can always add them afterwards if necessary but the animation is the main focus of the film.

Here are some renders of the current progress with the lighting

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 66 08-04-2006 , 05:45 PM
Subscriber

So i'm probably going to start animating on Monday regardless of the progress with the lighting and texturing, figuring that i can always add them afterwards if necessary but the animation is the main focus of the film.

If you are going to do this make sure you have uv maped everything first then just apply a simple shader to it. That way if you do have spare time all you got to do is apply the texture, and at least you`ll have some color. I always have trouble adding textures after I`ve finished animating but that may be because I model alot of characters so skinning and stuff messes them up, I don`t know

Must be said its looking very good, hope the render times are being nice to you.:attn:

# 67 09-04-2006 , 09:42 PM
Thanks for the advice tweetytunes, i'll bear that in mind

Update time...

user added image

# 68 11-04-2006 , 11:31 AM
Subscriber
looks really good!! can't wait to see him "batman in" through the glass :p

# 69 11-04-2006 , 07:48 PM
not seen your thread for a bit but the lighting and start of texturing is really giving the room a good feel, keep it up user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 70 11-04-2006 , 10:30 PM
Thanks guys, i've started animating and spent most of today sorting out the rope for the descent, the rope animation still needs work but most of the animation in the shot is finished. Shot 6.5 (don't ask) almost done, 44 more to go :headbang:

the video requires the divX codec, watch the video here

# 71 13-04-2006 , 03:34 AM
Subscriber
The animation is really good, since the movie is going to be funny i think it would be cool if he had a harder fall and alot more whip lash motion. user added image

# 72 13-04-2006 , 09:46 AM
Thanks Daffas, i'll take that idea into consideration

Here is an animation update, winrar-ed for your convenience user added image

Scene 02 playblast

# 73 13-04-2006 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
very cool animation.the rope looks a lot better in the second animation then the first.
seems to simulate the tension in the rope really well.
looking very cool i must say.
wish i could do stuff like this lol.

# 74 13-04-2006 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber
its looking good, but i have another suggestion. the window should close again after he falls down because the widown opens a certain way and the rope would pull it shut when he gets to the end of it, and he would then fall a little more.

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 75 14-04-2006 , 01:08 AM
this is looking amazing, totaly loving this so far.

now you've probably done this already but my only criticism is with the bag and the way that it hits the floor and rolls. it hits the floor and rolls without changing its angle(rotation? it's late and the words won't come!). what i mean is in reality if something hits the floor the resulting impact will make the object rotate along a trajectory due to its imperfect weight balance and non uniform shape.

in non lecturing speak, it might be nice to see the bag skid and spin a bit when it hits the floor.

sorry but when i try to give constructive crit it always comes off all lectury, i feel even worse giving crit on something lightyears ahead of what i can do.

just to let you know i look forward to this thread nearly as much as i do X-Men 3 being released! once again, excellent work.