Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-12-2016 , 07:30 AM

help organizing objects in the Outliner

Hi there,

I'm trying to rebuild a model from a class I took during the summer and am struggling when I attempt to attach the Podracer to a flight path (which will be made from a simple CV curve).

The Podracer is made from many parts (the plane, the two turbines, the cables, and the IK and FK). If I group everything and then move the plane, parts get left behind. I think the issue may be down to how I’ve parented the objects. Or perhaps I need to Freeze Transformations?

Attached are some screenshots. Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 2 29-12-2016 , 10:46 AM
I've also tried a simpler version where I wanted the top ball to be the lead object, which is the parent of the chain with joints and an iK handle, and then to that a bottom ball is attached. Attached is a photo but again, I'm not having any luck connecting multiple objects.

# 3 29-12-2016 , 10:48 AM
And here's the screengrab.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 04-01-2017 , 06:08 AM
What you are experiencing is called "double transforms", it all has to do with your hierarchy and the order of things.

Typically when I rig I have it all organized in different groups, one group being geometry, the other is joints, another are the controllers which I see you don't have any and the other ones can be miscellaneous.

First of all I notice you have nurbs, the industry today is more towards polygon meshes rather than curbs to start off with.

Secondly, you never want animators to animate from the joints and never freeze transforms joints, its just something you don't do, you freeze transforms controllers once you place them on the joint's pivot point. Reason we freeze transforms those controls is because if animators wish to bring the controller back to its original position it needs to have a new default pose which is why we freeze transforms. The way you can easily go about making a connection with the controller and joint is with a constraint.

Lastly, I would start by getting use to not using nurbs for geometry and secondly getting use to making controls as well. Look up "Zeth Willie Double transforms", it will help a lot without a doubt!

Feel free to check out my website! (:

https://dlopezdemedrano.com

# 5 05-01-2017 , 04:11 AM
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! The "Zeth Willie Double transforms" is really excellent and helping me understand where I'm going wrong (I think I need to watch my Inherent Transformations button). Thanks again!