Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-10-2004 , 03:36 PM

Small Character Design Challenge

Ok SMers.... sharpen up your pencils for a small character design challenge.

This challenge will be to develope a female character that has a truly unique look and feel. The character can be anime, realistic, or even a cool cartoon. I will be looking for originality not the stereotypical female characters we all see everyday...a design that stands out but is very tasteful at the same time.

Challengers don't have to have amazing drawing skills or talent to enter. Like I said I'll be judging more on concept and idea rather then overall look so don't be shy. If you have a cool idea, enter.

The challenge will run about 2 weeks and the winner will have the character modeled in 3D for an up and coming Simplymaya video tutorial by myself, as well as getting a copy of the final model once complete.

So let's get started and see what you all can come up with.

Kurt

Update on a few points:

1) Most be Human.
2) Most be fully clothed no nudes

Plz post your work in this thread so we dont crowd the Nightmare thread and I can keep track.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 30-10-2004 , 03:42 PM

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 3 30-10-2004 , 09:05 PM
Sounds good - i'll see what i some up with - then i may enter.

I have some Q's if i may:

1. How many designs can one post.

2. Aside from the concept image(s), do we have to show progress drawings, or do we just post the final image.

Ciao!

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 30-10-2004 at 09:47 PM.
# 4 30-10-2004 , 11:11 PM
You can post as many as you wish in reason say up to 3... You dont really have to sho w WIP just make sure your character is your's and not copied from someone else.

# 5 31-10-2004 , 12:52 AM

many questions

"This challenge will be to develope a female character that has a truly unique look and feel."

First:
-I'm not sure what is expected.Can clothes make a female unique?If yes could you tell some more points that make a character unique? just to give me and the others some inspiration because at the moment i do not know what i could draw...
-can she also be an female alien btw(humanoid with female proportions)?I'm very unsure about this challenge....

second thing:
Cant the winner get a allowance to download the modeling video/s instead the modeled character?I would more like to model it on my own in order to learn than get the already modeled....i think the other SMers would agree....

Dnn't expect much from me plz because I#m an absolute noob in drawing....but if i find time ill give it a try...

Last edited by Dragonhawk; 31-10-2004 at 12:54 AM.
# 6 31-10-2004 , 01:50 AM
I updated a few points see above.

Most me Human and must be clothed.

As for the question about getting the tut instead of the model. I dont think for this one, maybe for future bigger challenges like this.

The challenge was just to get any members involved in something fun as a side project if they had time. I was going to do a female character on my own but came up with the idea of getting the members to come up with the design for me.

Kurt

# 7 31-10-2004 , 02:00 AM
Technical Director
Cool. Should we post it here, or somewhere else?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 31-10-2004 , 03:21 AM
In here PLZ

Just a fast sketch I did for you all to get a idea what im looking for doesn't have to be a finished drawing just enough for me to see whats going on.

Attached Images

# 9 31-10-2004 , 05:24 AM
Looks like I'm out of ideas lately.... I'll give it one more go a little later, then I'll throw in the towel user added image

user added image

# 10 31-10-2004 , 07:14 AM
maybe we need MORE lace and frills and stuff...... could be a pain to model something like this though.... hmm...... and maybe I could have made the dress longer :o

user added image:

# 11 31-10-2004 , 02:57 PM
Good stuff mate....

# 12 31-10-2004 , 04:37 PM
Ok, in that case I am going to enter the Photoshop drawing I did awhile back! user added image I even include "background info." on the character...but you can make it as origional as you want!

Attached Thumbnails

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)

Last edited by CGPMaya84; 31-10-2004 at 04:46 PM.
# 13 31-10-2004 , 07:13 PM
Technical Director
Those are really cool. I guess I need to get a scanner then :p.

Should we make a profile and front views for you?

Last edited by NextDesign; 31-10-2004 at 07:17 PM.
# 14 31-10-2004 , 10:19 PM
nope dont need to unless you want to Peltra

# 15 31-10-2004 , 11:44 PM
Technical Director
Yeah I'll do that. (I can't yet draw in perspective :o)