Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 29-04-2007 , 03:09 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Sicky
u made some nice progress man good job , it looks wobbly tho :/ u need to sort some of the vetices out or remove them which ever ya prefer to smoothen it up a little bit

yeah thats part of the body work I've gotta work on today. Thanks for the comments though, I appreciate it a lot. user added image

# 17 29-04-2007 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
no probs man keep it up user added image

# 18 30-04-2007 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber
Tonight I spent some time once again working on the body a bit, and then I moved to some interior things, still a lot of work left to do on the interior, I just need to get away from my computer for the night it's 1:30am and I've been up almost 24 hours between work and maya I get no sleep. At a later time or if the mood strikes sooner I will change the tires to something more sporty. They're just there for a reference for now. I threw them together real quick, not bad for my first set of tires I think.

Interior From Above
user added image

Same shot wireframe poly smooth
user added image

Please comments and/or crits are welcome.

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 30-04-2007 at 01:44 PM.
# 19 30-04-2007 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber
looks tons loads better dude

# 20 13-05-2007 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
After weeks of building, and tweeking, and pulling, and pushing, and smoothing, and rendering, and duplicating :headbang: Here's some base mesh shots of the vehicle just about ready to start UV'ing. I have a little more tweeking to do on the roof, make it a bit rounder, and thats about it. I've neglected my friends, and used the days off from work and the time after work and some sleeping time to get this as far as I have.

Please any suggestions before I get into laying out the UV's would be greatly appreciated.

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 21 13-05-2007 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
just to see it smoothed with color I did this with some blinn's, don't really know much about any of it just knew it was shiny and lamberts aren't so I used it real quick to do this just for fun.
user added image

# 22 15-05-2007 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber
well no suggestions? I'm going to start UV'ing in a little bit.

# 23 15-05-2007 , 11:36 AM
It's a wee bit too dark to make much out...adding a couple spot lights, and/or a directional light will bring it out more ^_^

# 24 15-05-2007 , 11:45 AM
Subscriber
look at the post before this page, I posted wires of the base mesh with front back and side shots to get a view of everything to see what else needs to be tweaked, before I start laying out UV's and texturing the model. The cars going to be more than one solid color so it has to be textured.
The color render was more just a fun picture of color because I was feeling impatient for color so I needed a quick teaser. Apparently I just need to turn up the 3 spot lights I have in the scene. Also trying to learn Mental Ray since I've never used it before. Thanks for the suggestion with that render.

Oh yeah, still have to do new rims and tires, can't find a set I really like though.. any suggestions for that would be great to.

# 25 18-05-2007 , 12:20 PM
Subscriber
Ok so today I spent time laying out the UV's, this is my third time laying out uv's and using PS so hopefully this looks good to more than just me, haha. Spent about 6 hours laying out the UV's and getting the paintjob on the car kind of the way I wanted. I want to experiment a lot more with the same type of idea.
heres some pictures

comments and suggestions are much appreciated

Uv's:
user added image

MR Test Render with paintjob:
user added image

Any suggestions on how to get the snake skin image to blend with the other pieces better?

Oh and does anyone have any idea why the side mirrors didn't get textured? they were covered in the same snake skin texture as everything else, it doesn't make since to me user added image user added image

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 18-05-2007 at 12:33 PM.
# 26 19-05-2007 , 01:19 AM
Subscriber
any help at all?
I did figure out why the side mirrors didn't texture, but I'd still like some help with getting the paint to line up better... and of course any other problems that you see that you can help me with.

# 27 19-05-2007 , 02:24 PM
The texture not matching up is because the parts that you want to continue the texture onto are not together in the UV texture editor, If you apply a Checker material to the object you will be able to see the areas where theres a mis match, basicallly for something where you want it to look continous you would need to either make the sepperate parts into pretty much one UV map or make sure that you minimise the difference between the sepperate parts of the object.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 28 20-05-2007 , 02:35 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I don't know if you render your images with the mental ray carpaint shader, but if u use the custom shadingnetwork i added below it would save a lot of rendertime and looks nice enough to, and i think u must adjust the snakeskin in the uv editor by moving and scaling the uv's

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 20-05-2007 , 03:16 AM
Subscriber
Gster - Alright I'll give moving all them closer together so theres less space between the painted areas, maybe all those pieces towards the top and the back of all the pieces on the bottom of the UV editor so that they're both seperate.

Mastone - I am using mental ray, didn't know there was a car shader and looking at that diagram gave me a headache, don't know what the majority of that means. Thanks for the help, maybe I'll try and figure it out if it comes down to that.

# 30 29-05-2007 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
I haven't posted anything in a while in here, I decided to fool around with an hdri image I found at this site: https://www.debevec.org/Probes/ (have to give credit where credits due)
I don't know much about any of this stuff but fooling around in it seems to be the way to go.

Like always comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

user added image

funny thing I just realised, the lights I was getting on my car when I posted this (two days ago) https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=26389 aren't there anymore after I inserted this sphere around my project (the HDRI) I wonder what causes those lights?

Once again my mental ray, and light settings

Render Global Settings

Ray Tracing: On
Reflections: 2
Refractions: 2
Max Trace Depth: 4
Shadow Trace Depth: 2
Scanline: On
Faces: Both

Global Illumination: On
Global Illum Accuracy: 200
Global Illum Radius: 2.00