Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 106 20-07-2010 , 01:54 PM
The thin red line
Thanks for all support
This is my final entry for this battle, I will carry on with this and make a animation and finish texturing at a later date. all you see was made in maya, the only thing I am not happy with is the explostion and hope to fix that........will upload to finish work to add pole............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 107 20-07-2010 , 04:19 PM
EduSciVis-er
Sweet, great job! I do like the explosion, even if you're not happy with it. I'd recommend throwing a quick background on there, just to finish it off. Are you using default lighting?

# 108 20-07-2010 , 06:33 PM
The thin red line
Thanks stwert
I plan to do a animation and more of a short story, I only started on the explostion yesterday and its not animated yet, I had a look around for a back ground but could not fined what I was looking for will see if I can make one in paintfx. I have just two directional lights I wanted to keep it simple.................thanks again dave

Edit:The explostion might be ok, it could be the rocket flare being to sharp as it merges with the explostion? I could cut back on the rocket exaust as it hits?

Last edited by daverave; 20-07-2010 at 07:06 PM.
# 109 20-07-2010 , 09:15 PM
Lifetime Member
Good job mate...that is going to look cool when its animated. I agree with stwert...the exlosion is actually ok dave..yeh maybe dim the missile trail just as it hits. Good effort mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 110 20-07-2010 , 09:20 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
Do me a favour, just go and vote I dont mind if its for me or not........dave

Edit:I dont do these things to win but to learn faster and it has worked for me.........dave

Last edited by daverave; 20-07-2010 at 09:27 PM.
# 111 20-07-2010 , 09:41 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok mate.....thats a bloody hard one!!! You are both on an even keel as far as Im concerned

cheers bullet

will do it when I get to work

Edit: where do you vote??? Im a dummy

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 112 20-07-2010 , 10:01 PM
The thin red line
Finish work Bullet
You vote for who ever you want to, have I said your my best freind..............LOL.........dave

please vote for what you think is best as simple as that

# 113 21-07-2010 , 12:44 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok its like this from me....a dead heat dave BUT I think IMO you would have won if you had time to animate and texture.

Here I have it

Animation : starj

Textures : starj

Originality : dave

Effects : dave (based on stills)

Completion : starj

So starj gets my vote as it was completed to the specs

Quote :
The rules are,

deadline July 20th
Objective create a missile\torpedo to blow a car, spaceship, boat, sub, airplane, etc.. up with maya
Texturing outside maya is allowed
There will be a poll to determine the winner

I hope my impartial vote hasnt affected our relationship dave...LOL you would have pipped him at the post if you had animation!! and texture. starj was simple yet effective though you had a more complex model by the looks. Well done both of you...great efforts and comradery.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 114 21-07-2010 , 09:27 AM
The thin red line
Fair comment Bullet.
Like I have said before I will carry on with this as in general I like the results that I have made, the only thing that was not animated was the explosion that needs to be key framed. I was put back by the problems with rendering a batch file but I can manualy change the files. I have got a batch render (need file changed) I will post after the 25th dead line. There are a few things that I need to do namely texturing the hull and animating the explostion and setting up some form of platform for the missile to be fired from. But like I said I will wait till after the 25th............Like I have said I realy injoyed doing this but will not be able to do any battles till I have finished this (my baby)...............LOL dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 115 21-07-2010 , 10:35 AM
Lifetime Member
Well I am extremely disappointed dave....just shattered..completely broken mate. I dont know if I can go on...really...bahahahahahahahah

Nah mate...just kidding. I would really like to see you finish this, I know you had probs but I hope you can sort them out?? Your explosion (IMO!!) was very realistic looking...I liked it a lot. Starj had a good model too and his animation went well (I still see a secret squirrel missile LOL).

In the end I hope you had fun...at least you can have a crack at it..Im too scared and too busy with real life models..they are a bitch...but I will give you some???

Oh and an idea to stretch your amazing talent?? how about the dropship...dropping the bombs/cargo JUST before the missile hit over a battelfield??? I will do a DTM of the battlefield if you like??? THAT I can do

cheers bullet

Edit: or..or being hit by a metoerite whilst dropping terraforming modules in a hostile environment??? sorry

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-07-2010 at 10:47 AM.
# 116 21-07-2010 , 10:51 AM
Lifetime Member
dave....I just renamed a series of jpegs....got 10 selected then hit rename (XP) and renamed the first one and it then gave the name with a (number) and extension...would that work for you?

bullet1968

# 117 21-07-2010 , 11:48 AM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
I got windows 7 it will batch change names only not extentions witch will be a problem for me as I wanted to do layer rendering say a normal render of 200 frames with rendering layer would be 1200 frames to change. The problem is with only this scene, I did try to export parts out but the problem remained with the parts. I was thinking on the lines of bropping a bomb, if you notice each bomb has 4 jets at the end of the fins these would light up after dropping..................dave

# 118 21-07-2010 , 12:35 PM
Lifetime Member
oooohhhh nnnooooo saw the intention mate....I knew what you were doing ( I think).

The concept of a simple drop....maximum thrust at a sedate speed...with maximum damage is good. The less offensive energy....with maximum damage means the pilots of said craft are theoretically suicidal....coooollllll

Like a Herc gunship?? kinda..they are bloody cool. Thats what it reminds me of...an (A10) on coffee.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 119 21-07-2010 , 12:47 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
Your mail box is full..........dave

# 120 21-07-2010 , 12:50 PM
Lifetime Member
Sanchu barramundi

Yes we are related....I havent had a real alcohol drink for a few months...now Im a letch and drunk on 6 stubbies.

Mailbox edited

cheers bullet

Edit: oh and listening to 'Classical Gas" eric Clapton...stoned....flu....lush...lushed..hic...ba hahahaha

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-07-2010 at 12:52 PM.